Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
want to replace a dwarf Alberta spruce

Posted by bellafiore (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 20:04

Lots of winter kill. It's about 9 ft tall and 5 ft wide, which is the maximum space for the shrub. Part Shade, next to the house by the entry...there's an overhang, so it will be partially under that.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: want to replace a dwarf Alberta spruce

do you want a shrub.. or another conifer???

and if you want 'good' suggestions.. i suggest a pic of the location ...

ken

o

With the overhang, you will have to pay strict attention to watering whatever you plant. Did lack of water contribute to the demise of the Alberta Spruce? What was your winter like?
What zone are you in and generally where do you live? That information, and a picture like Ken says, would help in some 'good' suggestions.
Mike

o

Thank you for the responses....I removed it and now am happy it is gone. Going to replace it with a leafy shrub 5'x5' but not sure what yet. It's between Little Lime hydrangeas and yellow potentillas. Trying to decide between a really dark green, red, or variegated. I will try to figure out how to post a picture.

This post was edited by bellafiore on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 14:30

o

mikebotann, thanks for the response...yes, I did water on a regular basis. It was the bad winter...around here all the conifers got winter burn on the side that got the most sun. The snow stuck and turned to ice and the sun burned the branches. About a third of the tree is dead. No hope for recovery. Happy it is gone. going to put in low shrubs only for a better view from our sitting area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here