Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help id a shrub, please?

Posted by thedogsLL 6B (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 20:13

Hi, everyone. I'm trying, after 15 years, to actually "plan" my back yard, and make some sense of it. This shrub is one that is thriving, in spite of the fact that hubby and I have done some almost criminal pruning. It always comes back. I have long ago lost any memory of its name, and would like to be able to learn more about it. This photo is of fairly new leaves.

They start out creamy yellow, and the dark green starts at the center, and gradually spreads out until the whole leaf is dark green. You can see mature leaves behind and below the twig I'm holding. It has small white flowers in clusters shaped like grape clusters, and they are somewhat fragrant, especially early in the day. It also has black berries that birds don't seem to be crazy about. Does anyone know what it is?
Lynn T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help id a shrub, please?

Variegated Privet. Ligustrum.

o

Thank you, floral. I looked at that one, but the variegated part only lasts a few days to a week. I'll get a photo of the mature leaves only tomorrow - no time now, off to the other job! :)
Lynn T

o

I can see all green leaves on branches below. Variegated privet can produce all green foliage and those branches need to be cut out to keep the whole plant variegated. Variegation can also fade in excess shade. I feel pretty secure on the id. Perhaps you'd like to post on the Name That Plant Forum, here on GW, for a second opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant Forum

o

You are also describing the flowers and berries of 'privet', too.

o

Actually, no, now that the solid leaves are explained, I'm happy, LOL! I didn't mean to sound contradictory - it's just that after the first spring growth I've only seen it solid for years. I didn't know that the variegated part could last. Thank you, both!

So now I get to learn how to go about cutting it back to make it variegated again. That's really pretty, and I think I'll like it a lot more. One last question, if I may? Being just a bit north of Boston, am I better off leaving it alone till spring?

o

the accepted wisdom is 'yes, wait til e. spring' but I always whack WHEN I can.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton-Arbo retum ; free; open 24/7 to the public

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here