Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Anyone else needing rain?

whaas_5a
10 years ago

Damn I can't believe this August has only dropped three 1/8" rainfalls. That basically translates to nothing.

With a week left and given the forecast going to potentially be the second driest August on record. Nice little follow-up to the 8th driest July on record.

The storms that roll in track southeast but are either north or south of me. 25min south Milwaukee got two seperate 1"+ rainfalls this month and 25min north they got a 1"+ rainfall.

Anyone else feeling like they're sitting in a bubble?

This week in 90s and WINDY is sucking the life out of the trees around here. Not to mention it is a son of gun trying to keep up and establish my own garden.

Impatiently waiting for fall!

Comments (21)

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

I'm right there with ya whaas, been drier than a bone all summer down here around Houston, lots of rain right off the coast but not a spatter over here. :(

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Anyone else feeling like they're sitting in a bubble?

=>>> not enough moisture to make a bubble...

ken

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, sleep deprived! No idea why I put this in shrubs!

Although I guess it applies to everything.

Rain, Rain soak those dry gardens won't you?

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

I honestly believe that somewhere on my roof is a sign visible only to rain drops that indicates an avoidance of my property in August. Less than 1/10 of moisture for the month, and the 10 day forecast is void of the word rain as though it were one of those "4-letter words" that should be avoided.

East central Illinois is the spot.

Jim

• User
    10 years ago

Rain about 3.5 for month with more today and tomorrow, so should be normal by the end and soil moisture much above average. Pretty much west of the Mississippi, seems dry (including Alaska and Hawaii). Was not aware till your posting that drought was expanding once again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drought monitor map

• Sequoiadendron4
    10 years ago

Yeah add me to the list of you all. I'm in SE PA and apart from a 1.75" rainfall two weeks ago, we haven't gotten meaningful rainfall for a long time....I have a crack in the ground near our Honeylocust that I can put my hand into...

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Kansas is hell this time of year. Well, most times of the year, but this is the worst. We put in all our lawns and berms in the first two years we were here, and they were very wet years. Then Mother Nature turned off the tap and I have so much to water. My husband and I agree that replacing shrubs and trees is a lot more costly than a big water bill, but one bill last year (for two months) was over a thousand dollars. I am pretty miserly about how I water, too. An awful lot of it is hand watering at ground level.

Our garden is way too big, I'm afraid.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blazing full sun on a sandy slope makes it worse here.

If temps are average I can go 3-4 weeks at a time with an 1" of rain during the summer before it starts to dry up. Its surprising that August and July combined average 8" but over the last three years while establishing my garden both months combined over that time hasn't even hit 1 years worth.

That drought monitor is hilarious. I understand it doesn't go by county though. July and August have been DRIER than that record setting drought last year.
    The temps just haven't been as high.

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    10 years ago

NW Michigan here and our last 3 summers have been extremely dry. I torture myself by watching for rain on the weather.com satellite. Once it comes across Lake Michigan it always breaks up and goes either north or south of us. Like there's a shield over the area or something. At least that's what it feels like.

Fortunately we had a few storms recently, and today it rained so much there was a flash flood warning, which is pretty unusual here. What a relief. Hoping for rain for all who need it!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same here...except those storms stayed north of me AGAIN (at least is wasn't 20 min away, more like an hour). I saw some nice storms developing over lake MI.

Glad you got some rain.

I've been running my sprinklers since 6am yesterday. I only shut them down from 2am to 6am. They'll run again until 2am.

I'm going all out and watering my entire 1/2 acre, grass and all. Lost so much grass last year as its only 2 years old.

Mulch is a savor early in the year, but I hate it right now as it soaks up so much water since its so dry. Takes forever to get any soil penetration.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

We got about a half or three quarters inch yesterday and the day before, the plants seem more confused than ever. The 10 day forecast has three 20% chance days, more likely twenty percent chance of seeing a cloud. Or an alien.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd take that and be set for 3 weeks!

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

LOL I can't even eke out 3 days with the heat down here. :(

• deltaohioz5
    10 years ago

Way too much rain this year in N.W. Ohio. Just the opposite of last summer. All I've been doing is mowing and spraying roundup.

Frank

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dude, I enjoyed mowing the month of June. Great exercise.

Sure beats watering (which takes 100x longer and 10x more costly) and watching plants suffer with dieback in the surrounding woods here.

Enjoy your rain while you can!

Finally got 3/4" today which ended a 39 day period without rain greater that 1/8". Plants are starting to cash out so just this bit helps after this week of near record temps and windy conditions.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

Good for you whaas, every little bit will help. At least with the humidity level, if nothing else. lol

It's been a brutal month, I'm so glad to see it ending.

I see Farmer's Almamac is forecasting cold this winter, I won't mind, as long as it's sufficiently wet.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd agree, as long as their is sufficient snow cover I'm set. I actually enjoy November and December. Jan and Feb not so much.

March you at least have something to look forward to.

July is just as bad as Jan and Feb in my book.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Check out the color of this sky from a brief t-storm we had yesterday afternoon! I took out the power lines in the photo, but I did not touch the color. I have never seen anything like this color after a storm -- and I was so hoping for a rainbow...butno dice. Then this morning, we just had over an inch, a really serious summer storm to start the day.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Duplicate post, not my fault!

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by MulchMama on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 9:49

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

Wow, that's come sky color, MM!

I agree whaas, the dead middle of summer and winter are the dreads.

• jillyvs
    10 years ago

Thought the Kansas drought was broken....12 inches of rain in about 3 days in June and now nothing. It is September 8th and it was 102 today. Maybe the drought still has us in it's grip. Pretty tired of that and dragging hoses, trying to decide what to save and what to just let go.