Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Companion shrub for Harry Lauder's Walking Stick

zaphod42
10 years ago

Have always wanted one and going for it in this new design. Will be focal point in a bump out section of a border, but need additional shrub to go with.

First off - will Harry Lauder get to the 10' x 10' size? This might affect the companion shrub.

Second - I'd like to to echo the purple theme going on on the other side of the yard. I've got a smoke bush as my main shrub on the other side. Was considering a smoke bush for this side as well, but they can get really big and might overwhelm the space. I was considering a 'Black Lace' Elderberry. Thoughts on this selection? Since Harry Lauder is more of a weeping form, I was hoping for something that would direct upwards.

Doesn't have to be in the burgundy purple range. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

I was looking into the Harry Lauder...the nursery stated it was a very slow grower...one planted a good 5 years ago still barely shows signs of growth. But I have seen a mature old one that was planted over 30 yrs from what the home owner said. It was quite large! But as a slow grower...and just getting my feet wet in gardening. I think I would look into something that may be easy to transplant later in years go by...and not plant the alloted distance it claims. But closer to it to avoid bare beds...or throw in some form of eye candy if you like hardscape plant a big rock or something bird bath...

But that is just me...I actually didn't get one because of it being toxic to dogs...going after a Lavender Twist...that is un-trained to a stake. Which resembles a redbud traveler...not as twisty as a Harry Lauder...but a good alternative and it blooms as well. Also a faster grower...

Now the Ruby Falls is a weeping redbud...purple leaves which are heart shaped. Blooms as well.

The black lace is a beautiful shrub!!! Though sadly toxic...love the leaves on it.

Good luck with your planting. I am sure others could better direct your answer better. Just know from looking into that shrub it is extremely a slow grower. Maybe others have a better way of handling slow growers.

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oooh, didn't realize yet that the Elderberry was toxic. Will probably scratch that as an option.

I like the Ruby Falls Weeping Redbud. Have you seen these in your zone? Where in 5 are you? This seems a borderline hardy plant for my area.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I don't know if you're considering the burgundy one, 'Red Majestic', but we put one in two years ago, and I paired it with Coreopsis 'Zagreb'. I know that's a perennial and not a shrub, but it's a beautiful combination. Our Harry is also on a bumped out area of a bed along our driveway, and we also have a purple smokebush on the opposite side of the driveway. Next year, I'm doing to divide off some of the coreopsis and plant in front of the smokebush.

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's it! I want that one!

So, that changes the question slightly. I will still need a second shrub companion, but could really be anything as the Red Majestic would have the purple color.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

FYI, 'Red Majestic' does wash out to green in summer's heat. It also suckers from the rootstock, so you need to keep clipping those off. Still, it's a nice green, and it does go back to burgundy in the fall.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Unless you have a dog that nips at leaves and such...I wouldn't worry about the plant being toxic. I almost suggested the Red Majestic...for we seen it at a box store and didn't wish to get it there. And later learned our nursery's supplier doesn't handle that variety. But it does as mentioned...fade to a nice green. When pondering to go with Harry Lauder or the Red Majestic...we learned it was toxic to pets as well...

But if your are concerned with toxic plants...the Red Majestic and Harry Lauders is considered toxic to pets. Not sure about humans...for that was not a concern.

You asked about the Ruby Falls...I live in NE Ohio...a zone 5b from what my nursery states. And when I went to pull up info...I seen another site now lists it hardy to only a 6... So I may have to do a weeping Covey/Lavender Twist.

I also wanted a traveler redbud...but not zone friendly. They resemble the actual look of a lavender twist before they got the bright idea to stake them to weep. (Mind you I love the weeping form...but appreciate the shorter squatter version as well) prefer the Ruby Falls for the cleaner lines...but we can't have everything. So I'll be training a young Lavender Twist next spring...to be short and squatty...and try and find a good weeping form of it as well...possibly. I need to really discuss this with my nursery. Because they felt they could get me a Ruby Falls...Which means...their supplier offers it to our zone planting.

This post was edited by cadillactaste on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 16:21

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Now they claim the Lavender Twist/Covey also has purple leaves that changes to green as the season goes on...then a yellow leaf come fall. I've seen this tree in town...and was quite taken with it. So though it doesn't have the clean lines I was hoping for...I could still enjoy it in my yard.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Is Corylus avellana really toxic to dogs? A quick Google found no reference to it and since it is the source of hazel nuts it seems a bit unlikely. Elder wood and leaves are toxic but dogs have coexisted with both hazel and elder for millennia in their natural habitats.

However, both grow into large shrubs and I wouldn't class them as 'companions' unless prepared for a pretty large thicket in a few years time.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

can we start over ...

10 x 10 .. for HLWS... that is a very limited estimate ....

mine was at least that in 6 years .. before it died of filbert blight ...

and i saw an ancient one at a nursery.. that was at least 20 by 20 ...

IMHO .. though its not fast by any means.. it is NOT slow.. nor limited in size...

call the county extension office and find out if filbert blight is in your area ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I would not consider Harry Lauder's slow growing in the least - mine outgrew a container planting (half wine barrel) in two seasons and it is not at all uncommon to see very large specimens in established gardens in my area. I had one client that had one that could be described as a small tree - easily 12-15 feet tall and about 20' across.

All I can say for this is allow sufficient space for it to grow to size. Pruning back one for size is not very desirable and they are not easy to transplant when somewhat mature. As to companion shrubs, let this guy take center stage. Lower growing dwarf shrubs could compliment but I'd stick more to groundcovers or perennials, even grasses, so that when HL is doing his winter thing - his best season - nothing else detracts.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

http://ediblelandscaping.com/products/nuts/Filberts/RedDragonContortedFilbert.php

A dwarf version that holds its red better...curious if the dwarf was the version they seen that they commented about not getting large in size...

I read somewhere the pods were toxic...but for the life of me wonder if that is so...because I am not finding it now. I should know to double check resources.

If this the case...I am getting a red dragon!!!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

'Red Dragon' is not nearly as contorted as the standard HL (or even 'Red Majestic) - it is the result of a spontaneous cross between a standard red leaved filbert ('Rode Zeller') and Corylus avellana 'Contorta'. Ones we have in stock at my nursery look pretty much like a standard filbert with minimal twisting growth or contorted foliage. Like Red Majestic, it greens out in summer. And it is a grafted selection as well so you will have to watch for rootstock growth (suckers).

Filberts do not produce "pods" - they produce nuts (filberts/hazelnuts) which are completely edible, although the ornamental forms tend NOT to produce nuts unless other filberts are around to cross pollinate.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

The things that hang down the site called them pods...I guess they had all sorts of wrong information. I appreciate your knowledge!!! Not as contorted...I like the twist. Thanks scratching off the red dragon then...but out of the red majestic and Harry Lauder do they twist bout the same?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

'Red Majestic' seems to be prone to disease, I started seeing sections of dead stems on specimens being offered here early in the game. This past spring a hardware store I have occasion to walk past weekly had one 'Contorta' and one 'Red Majestic' displayed near one another, dead patches were clearly visible on the stems of the red one but not on the green. Both specimens were labeled has having come from the same supplier.

'Contorta' needs a dark green background to contrast with its winter catkins. And it seems that since the catkins of the red one are partly red something behind that looked good with that color - maybe silvery or grayish green - could work.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Thanks! I may have to run and get the last Harry Lauder at the nursery...that it isn't the slow grower they claimed...has me thrilled as well!

• florauk
    10 years ago

The 'things that hang down' on HLWS would be catkins ie the male flowers. A site that calls them pods is not a site you can rely on.

• cadillactaste
    10 years ago

Thank you...you are so so right! There was so much mis-information there!

The nursery sold the Harry Lauder...it is on hold status for a customer of theirs. They will call me if the person doesn't come in and pick it up.

My husband thinks we should wait for our sand cherry to fade out and die and then plant it in its place...since we learned they are a temporary shrub...and it was struggling to survive a good 7 years or so by the walnut...transplanted to where it should have been planted years ago...and we thought it died last year. And talked of putting a Harry Lauder in its place this year. Then...the sand cherry showed signs of life...

It would put it in full sun. Verses...under the edge of a shaded oak tree...a good distance from the actual tree,but an old tree...unless we hear from them. I think he is tired of planting this year.