Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randi_r

razzle dazzle series-crape myrtle

randi_r
15 years ago

Does anyone have the shrub form of razzle dazzle crape myrtle shrubs? I'm wondering if it has bloomed for anyone. I have had the "Rasberry" one for 2-3 years and it has not bloomed yet. One more year before it gets tossed. Any comments from other gardeners that have this series would help.

Comments (5)

• ego45
    15 years ago

I'm curious about the same.
    I have 'Rasberry' and 'Ruby' for 3 years already, since August 2006.
    While I bought Rasberry already in bloom, despite a deadheading the very first year, it never bloomed again ever since.
    Ruby, which was bought bloomless at the same time, never produced even a single bud for all those years.
    I might toss Rasberry, but will keep Ruby because it has very-very pleasing dark burgundy-reddish foliage and low mounding habit. It is appealing enough to use as a strictly foliage plant or substitute for a dwarf red barberry or weigela 'Midnight Wine'.
    I was attributing such performance of Dazzle series to the absence of sufficient heat in New England climate and generaly well watered grounds in my garden in particular, but now when I see that they don't bloom in VA as well, I begin guessing that this could be not a cause :-(

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

I JUST (4 days ago) bought one each of the 'Raspberry' and "Ruby', both in bud. I will be planting them later, when the temps aren't in the high 90's, since it is easier to water them when in close proximity to the hose! I have seen both growing and flowering here, but only in passing, as it were, so have no idea as to the cultural practices of their growers.

For both, I would think they could be even more sensitive to excess nitrogen then the taller CMs. If either of you have them in or near lawns, and fertilize your lawn, that could be a factor in them not flowering. If you are fertilizing near them, esp. with a high nitrogen fertilizer, that could also be a problem. I would also grow them in full sun, moving them if necessary, and, while not drowning them, make sure they have plenty of water - but I am sure I am preaching to the choir on both those ideas - my apologies!

Since I have had taller CMs grow well for me, I am hoping that these 2 dwarfs will do well. Time will tell. Sorry not to be more help.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    15 years ago

I have the whole series except for the white one - all bloom for me except Ruby which - like ego45 said - that doesn't matter because of the size and foliage color. Ruby would make a great rock garden plant. I bought them at a Home Depot in Woodstock GA three years ago. All die back to the ground each winter and resprout from the stem core - so they all stay small.

• nantucketwhaler
    13 years ago

I have 3 Razzle Dazzles--and they are anything but dazzling.I have had them 3 years-they've grown quite nicely--compact,round, and NARY a Blossom to be seen--ever!! Mine are Cherry and Raspberry. They are planted in full sun , well drained, lots of mulch--and the azaleas, oriental lilies, and phlox around them are doing super. I don't get it, but it's nice to know I'm not alone--got mine at a Home Depot 3 July's ago. The other(Dwarf)Crepe Myrtle (NOT Razz Dazz) in the same garden are doing fine-blooming well--now. There is something in the Razz Dazz strain that doesn't want to bloom. The "creator" needs to be advised.

• suel41452
    10 years ago

OK, my hopes are completely dashed by this article:
    http://www.gallopinghorsegarden.com/1/post/2013/02/raspberry-dazzle-or-why-i-stopped-buying-the-latest-and-greatest.html

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!!