Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitykat44

gro-low sumac

kitykat
9 years ago

How will this spread? I want it as a shrub, not a GC.

1 - suckering
2 - rooting where branches touch the ground
3 - both of the above
4 - neither... it just grows wide, to 8' as most sites claim

Comments (8)

• lisanti07028
    9 years ago

According to MOBOT, it spreads by suckering, and grows to 1 1/2 to 2 feet. Other websites I found by googling it call it a ground cover, but say it can reach 3 feet. It sounds like you'd end up with a thicket of them, whatever the height may be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Botanical Garden on this sumac

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

most size estimates are at 10 years ...

presume at 20 .. it can be twice as big ..

size ESTIMATES are just that.. no plant really stops growing at some magical size ...

i would ...NEVER .. plant a sumac ... unless i had acres to cover ... and a need for one plant to do it ....

to wonder if any sumac wont spread by runners... is like asking such to change its genetic predisposition ...

ken

• kitykat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, so far, but I am looking for those who are actually growing this plant, and their experience.

If it sends out some/a few suckers during a year, that can be trimmed and maintained, so be it. If, they are like Itea or Aronia or Calycanthus, and send suckers some distance from the plant throughout the season... that is more of a problem!

My builder's landscaper is recommending five atop a retaining wall, and with taller shrubs behind the sumac. Some pruning is fine, but I do not want a thicket!!!

Comments?

• User
    9 years ago

Kitykat,
    I suggest you read the thread that was so kindly provided to you by one of the generous responses to your question.
    I think your comment is uncalled for, especially since you obviously ignored the help that was freely given to you from very experienced posters for your answer.
    Read the thread if you want first hand experience.
    Your welcome.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

You can always do a forum specific search down near the very bottom of the main forum page. That's what I did and in the thread linked below, one poster referred to having to do a fair amount of work to keep them under control.

I know that for our Rhys typhina (staghorn sumac) which like R. Aromatica speads via suckers, we use a brush hog and mow the margins of the clump to keep it under control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gro-low sumac

• kitykat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@butterfly4u...

Your SNARKY comment was uncalled for and hurtful!

I did offer 'thanks' to the first two responders, but requested further comment from those with hands-on experience.

(I certainly understand why some only lurk here at GW, unwilling to post!)

• kitykat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@nhbabs...

Thank you for the link you offered. It was the information I was seeking. When doing my search, I did not think of using the botanical name, since many/most gardeners are less apt to, and generally resort to common terms.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

It also comes up in a thread on the perennials forum including a photo and comments on control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Combinations thread including Gro-low.