Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Red Crapemyrtle for zone 6

Posted by phyleux Z6 WPA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 21:00

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone could recommend the best red crapemyrtle for zone 6. I live in Pittsburgh PA and currently have a Hopi crapmyrtle that is doing outstanding. Got it about 5 or 6 yrs ago, it's about 6ft tall and blooms beautifully every year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Red Crapemyrtle for zone 6

Well, I am one zone higher and the only true red one I see sold locally is Dynamite. It has not bloomed for me yet as I moved them in July (not recommended by the way), but they are doing fine and will probably still bloom this year. If you have a particularly warm and SUNNY site, they would appreciate it. They are very rugged plants--I've never had one flat out die on me. Be patient in the Spring though as they are late to leaf out in colder zones. We had a very bad Winter on the East coast and one Zuni that I assumed was dead took until July to resurrect itself from the roots and is now four feet tall! Good luck!

o

You don't say what size crapemyrtle you are wanting, but I have a 'Red Filli' crapemyrtle that only gets about 2 feet tall and wide. It dies back completely (which seems to be a characteristic of most crapemyrtles) and then in the very late spring starts growing again. I like the fact that it is small and can fill a space without taking it over.

Another one that I have is 'Victor'. It is listed as 3 feet, but mine is at least 4 feet now and looks very nice. This one sits in a somewhat protected area on the west side of my house. It has come back for the past three years in my zone 6a garden, even though it is listed for zones 7-9.

Vickie

o

'Dying out completely' for crape myrtles only happens when the Winter is excessively severe--it does not normally occur in a zone 7 winter or higher.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here