Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heavy Yews Pruning

Posted by zooba72 Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 21:02

Hello Everyone,

The front of my home has a large hedge of Yews that have been neglected and are now overgrown and ugly. Before I remove them, I want to give them a shot a rejuvenation. I'm planning on taking them from about 5FT to about 2FT. My question, do I need to wait until February/March to do this? or can I do this in the late fall? Most of what I read recommend the early Spring.

I would prefer the fall as I have a lot of stuff to chip up and want to add the Yews branches.

Thanks in advance !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heavy Yews Pruning

i would just get rid of them ...

they are bare in the middle .. when you give them the crew cut.. they will still be dead in the middle.. with green all around.. like a tonsure haircut [never got to use that in a post before.. lol]

though they should be able to rebud and fill in ... i might suspect.. it might take 3 to 5 years .. or longer ...

if you were to dispose of them now.. you could plant new things in the proper planting season for your area.. and be all set at start of next spring ...

otherwise... you will probably be wasting a whole year.. ...

its not about what can be done.. its about how it will look.. and whether you will be able to stand it..

i like to say.. if it were out back on my 5 acres.. i would mess around with it ... but this is the front of your house.. and presumably.. not the spot of a long term reclamation project.. 99 out of 100 times ...

be done with them.. [unless you post a pic.. and i change my mind.. lol]

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here