Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Judd or Emerald Triumph Viburnum

whaas_5a
14 years ago

I'm trying to decide bewteen Judd or Emerald Triumph Viburnum to be used as a backdrop.

They will get part sun, have well drained soil and its typically more dry than moist. It will be easy to supply water during drought.

If it matters, I already have the following cultivars, which none have given me fruit yet...so not sure if one of the above will help with these.

Koreanspice Vibrunum

Spring Green Compact Viburnum

Mohican Viburnum

Blackhaw Viburnum

Comments (11)

• viburnumvalley
    14 years ago

The Judd viburnum (Viburnum x juddii) will provide cross-pollination to your Koreanspice viburnum (Viburnum carlesii), and it will be fragrant in flower unlike 'Emerald Triumph' viburnum. Neither will particularly partner with the rest of the viburnums you've listed.

Koreanspice Viburnum = Viburnum carlesii
    Spring Green Compact Viburnum = Viburnum trilobum 'Spring Green'
    Mohican Viburnum = Viburnum lantana 'Mohican'
    Blackhaw Viburnum = Viburnum prunifolium

Find another clone or seedling species plant of the other viburnums to achieve greater fruit set on the plants you have.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

V. 'Allegheny' will pollinate V. 'Mohican' (and vice versa); berries are in color now in my garden.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well if I get the Judd, sounds like the Judd and Koreanspice will then get fruit.

If I get the Emerald Triumph I'll get fruit on the Triumph and Mohican. I have two Mohican's so maybe that is the way to go.

Otherwise is there another cultivar I should look at to get for better bang for the buck?

I have access to the other following cultivars:

Dentatum
    Lentago
    Opulus
    Sargentii

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I'm going to end up with the Emerald Triumph as I really looking to get the season long foilage look.

In addtion does anyone have experience with Summer Magic Blackhaw Viburnum? Curious what your thoughts are on this one.

I liked to grow 2 specimans as small trees in a full sun area. Well drained, fully exposed.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So If I have this right,

Emerald Triumph is a cross between Allegheny and Burejaeticum, which translates to Lantana and Rhytidophyllum?

• viburnumvalley
    14 years ago

whaas:

Somewhere/sometime you may have mentioned where you garden, but I can't find it. Aside from knowing zone 5, I don't have much to go on in offering further advice here or on your other threads.

You have divined the parentage of 'Emerald Triumph' accurately. If it overlaps in bloom time with 'Mohican' then it is a potential proper cross-pollinator.

'Summer Magic' is a decent clone of Blackhaw viburnum (Viburnum prunifolium), as are others like Forest RougeÂ, GuardianÂ, and OvationÂ. I'm growing three or four others, including Crimson RobeÂ, but it is still a small plant here so I'll reserve commentary.

'Summer Magic' produces bright red new shoots, and seems to be more upright in habit as a younger plant. Many times, this doesn't translate into permanently narrow plants, but may make it easier to prune for clearance if one starts early in the plant's life. A 10-12' tall plant at Bernheim Arboretum in KY is about 6' wide; a haystack type habit, if you will.

Otherwise, the behavior of most blackhaws I've seen are pretty similar - very much like a standard crabapple habit. Eventually, reaching 20' x 20' in a rounded to mushroom shaped small tree, especially if limbed up in youth.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comments...I am in southeast WI, suburb of Milwaukee.

I'm still debating between the Judd and Emerald Triumph. Although leaning towards the Emerald Triumph as McKay Nursery mention it will pollinate the Mohican (or vice versa). Johnsons nursery told be that don't really see a good fruit set on the Koreanspice or Judd, they are more noted for their flowering capabilities, which is a moot point as this will be in partial shade with drier soil.

• viburnumvalley
    14 years ago

Additional info needed: are fruiting characteristics for you or for the birds?

Are you interested in fragrance?

Answer those two questions, and the choice will be obvious.

I have V. x juddii, V. x 'Cayuga', and V. carlesii 'Aurora' all planted near each other, and the fruiting is prolific.

You may not have many insects visiting these plants during your spring blooom period (isn't that like, a week in late June?), so the info from Johnson's may be just the way it is.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carlesii blooms around the 1st week of May.

Fruiting would primarily for me. Fragrance, don't really care.

These vibrunums are going to be right outside my bay window (not under) so they are hightly visiable. They'll be about 15ft away from view.

• prairiegirlz5
    10 years ago

So, it's been awhile. What did you end up planting whaas?

I'm going to be planting either Viburnum carlesii or Viburnum lantana 'Mohican' as the (asymmetrical) centerpiece of a bed with a tree (serviceberry) at one end and a row of small shrubs edging the larger shrub. I have two Viburnums nearby, V. sargentii 'Onondaga' and V. opulus, I forget if they cross-pollinate each other.

I also have two V. tomentosum plicatum in pots that need permanent homes. I put Xmas lights along the branches. Since they're practically horizontal, it's a very interesting look.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, this feels like eons ago, lol.

At a new place now. Still haven't lost that desire to plant viburnums.

Viburnum c. Spiced Bouquet
    Viburnum 'Hildebrants'
    Viburnum lantana 'Mohican'
    Viburnum lantana 'Variegatum'
    Viburnum nudum 'Bulk'
    Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum
    Viburnum pragense 'Decker'
    Viburnum 'Summer Snowflake'
    Viburnum x 'Cayuga' (this one has a disease so I got rid of it)

Bulk has the most fruit of all the plants listed above.