Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple color in zone 3/4?

Posted by ptilda 3/4 (ptilda@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 22:03

I am very much interested in bringing more color, with a bit of height, into my garden, similar in form to Japanese Maples. Much of my area is shaded by large, mature oaks, but there are a couple of areas with more sun if needed. Does anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple color in zone 3/4?

mostly a dark tan.. as in DEAD!!!!

go back to the hosta forum ... lol ...

VERY FEW JM's are hardy in my z5 .... so you are really pushing the envelope ...

also.. in the TREE FORUM .... there is almost the exact ??? from someone in z4 maine ...

it aint gunna work.. short of spending hundreds of bucks.. to find the one that might live...

if you are intent.. look for bloodgood .. the dark red one ...

also .. i tried growing hosta under a J-MAPLE .... it eventually doesnt work ... the JM's have a very thick fibrous root mat.. once they do get going... like you cant even put a shovel thru it ... let alone have something that will grow in that mat ....

so a new post would be.. what shrubs grow in shade in z4 .... or with limited sunlight.. and still flower ....

keep on singing...

ken

ps: we have a prior friendship in the hosta forum.. so dont get upset with the remarks.. i am kidding her ...

o

Ken, are you stalking me again? :)

My main deal is shrub-size color for my zone. Closest care-free solutions I'm finding are:

Sumac (yeah, I know, suckers! But I'm thinking I can do my 50-gallon garbage can with the bottom cut out & plant in there)
Lilac - same issues as above, and they need more sun.
Hydrangea - I like this one
Japanese Yew - good evergreen & does ok in shade
Azalea & Rhododendron - some of these work in my zone

Guess I'm back to tall flowers & more big trees! lol

o

Physocarpus opulifolius - ninebark - is probably the only shrub hardy enough for your zone that will resemble the coloring and size of a Japanese maple. But it would prefer full sun. Cultivars are available with various foliage colors - gold, maroon/burgundy and copper. And the leaves look alot like a maple leaf :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Physocarpus 'Coppertina'

o

you left out a bunch of shade tolerant conifers ...

and fallopia...

it might also be a post for the hosta forum ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here