Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbirkey_ia

Help with Id on this bush?

dbirkey_IA
14 years ago

Hi, My friend & I visited her cousin & she had this beautiful bush, but she didn't know what it was. We would like to propagate it somehow, & any help with ID would be much appreciated. I took the pic with my camera phone & my friend says the color is more of a hot pink than a purplish color. It was approximately 4' tall & bushy.

Thanks,

Dave

{{gwi:275210}}
{{gwi:275212}}

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

That is Pokeweed, not a shrub, but a perennial. It's a native and birds drop the seeds here and there. Phytolacca americana is the scientific name.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

its an invasive weed in my garden ...

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE SEEDS WILL SPROUT ... not maybe.. for sure ...

and the birds will carry them everywhere ...

chop it down before the seed ripens .... and treat the cut with 100% roundup ...

its root can be as big as a sweet potato ... you will not pull it out ...

and if you spend me a buck.. i will tell you how i really feel about it ... lol ...

ken

PS: personally i would jail you.. if i found you propagating it.. rotflmbo ....

Here is a link that might be useful: 3rd link down.. regarding porpagating ...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

That is the FIRST time that I've ever heard Pokeweed described as 'beautiful'. But, it does kind of look pretty in that image. lol

Because of its toxicity, it's recommended that pokeweed be removed as soon as you find it.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Polkweed isn't invasive, by definition; it's a native! It may be an aggressive nuisance in some places. There's always polk salad! It's also used in various herbal remedies and is an import food source for many birds. I can sure thing of many worse plants!

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Grown as an ornamental here, where as is often the case our dry summer climate appears to prevent copious reproduction.

• dbirkey_IA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for the quick responses. The plant was in a bed with alot of other plantings & didn't seem to be invasive at all. Just the one plant & has been there for 2-3 years. I'll think again before we propagate it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

the FIRST one is never invasive....

its the 2 millions seedlings next year.. i mean really.. some bird did bring it to this garden.. that ought to tell you a lot right there ...

i predict hatred quickly.. if the seeds are left to mature... i am surprised its zonal as bboy notes...

my daughter used to play with them.. in making potions ... until i got her a herb book.. WHICH SAID EVERY PART OF IT IS TOXIC.. including burning it ...

and brandon wants to eat it.. go figure on that...

ken

• mrsboomernc
    14 years ago

Yep, Ken, polk greens are edible.
    Cooked like kale, or collards, or spinach.
    Can't say I've eaten any in the last
    35 years, but my mother & grandmother
    relished them. Go figure, eh?

I've got to say, the photo does make
    polk weed look attractive :)

• dbirkey_IA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeh chappelhill, the plant is very attractive, kinda like it's saying.. "please take me home with you? I'll be good, I promise." lol! I think it's best to leave all parts of it at its current home 60 miles away from me. That way when we visit, I can still tell her, "my, what a pretty plant!" Haha. Thanks again everyone for all your help.