Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curryrice

Shrubs turn brown from inside (need suggestions)

curryrice
10 years ago

Hi, I recnetly planted 18 shrubs around my front yard.
After a month, everything still looks OK.
But I recently noticed that some shrubs starts to turn brown from inside; and when I noticed it, there are already 3 of them turned completely brown.

I'm pretty sure the watering is not a issue, I have dripping system to each indivdual shrubs.
The system turns on in the morning at 7 AM for 15 mins.

Any idea what would cause the shrubs to turn brown?

pictures: http://imgur.com/a/89gy3
healthly shrub: http://i.imgur.com/RQTNsRq.jpg
turning brown from inside: http://i.imgur.com/858dLP2.jpg
completely brown: http://i.imgur.com/CiRUEqU.jpg

Thank you

Comments (11)

• curryrice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

image of the completely brown one

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

You're watering every day? What kind of soil do you have under that plastic? That looks like a impervious plastic.....is it? What is the moisture level of the soil under the plastic.

I'd be willing to bet money that the problem IS the watering (and the plastic).

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

You're watering every day? What kind of soil do you have under that plastic? That looks like a impervious plastic.....is it? What is the moisture level of the soil under the plastic.

I'd be willing to bet money that the problem IS the watering (and the plastic).

• curryrice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@rhizo_1
    Yes, I water everyday. I'm not exactly sure about the soil, but I remember the contractor replaced the old soil with whatever they got from the nursery.
    For the plastic, it's the weed blocker (Easy Gardener WeedBlock).
    As for the moisture level, how do i measure it?

Thanks.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

15 minutes a day with a drip system is nowhere near adequate watering for a newly planted shrub in summer. What is the GPH of your emitters? It would very likely be much more satisfactory to water less often (2-3X week?) but for a significantly longer period of time. You need the water to percolate down and saturate the soil evenly to depth of the rootball and all the way around.

The only way you can determine if the plants are getting adequate water is to physically test the root zone.

• florauk
    10 years ago

In addition to what has been said it is important to know what shrubs you have. 18 'shrubs' doesn't really tell us what we are discussing. Different plants need different conditions. The ones in your pictures appear to be Myrtus communis. Is that correct? And are they all the same?

• curryrice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@rhizo_1
    Yes, I water everyday. I'm not exactly sure about the soil, but I remember the contractor replaced the old soil with whatever they got from the nursery.
    For the plastic, it's the weed blocker (Easy Gardener WeedBlock).
    As for the moisture level, how do i measure it?

Thanks.

• curryrice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@florauk
    Yes, they are Myrtus communis (18 of them).

@gardengal48
    The emitters are pointed directly to the root; the emitters' head are black, so I think they are 1 GPH.
    I'll adjust the duration and the frequency of the timer; probably 1 hour per day, and then 1 hour every other day after 2 weeks. (will slightly adjust after I check the root)

Is there a way to determine if the completely brown ones are still savable?

Thanks for the help and quick response.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

do NOT increase water.. until you dig a hole and find out if it is wet or dry ...

the black fabric is cooking your plants above ground...

and probably cooking the roots below with trapped and retained heat ...

i doubt if you will find any experienced gardener.. who favors any kind of landscape cloth ...

interior browning is normal.. there is no sunlight in there.. to maintain green leaves... its a function of how tight the outer canopy is ..

the all brown plant is dead ...

why did you not finish covering the black with the stone ...

no one can tell you about your soil.. you water.. when your plants .. needs water.. run irrigation.. dig hole.. find out what happened.. increase or decease amount of time run.. as necessary ...

ken

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Get rid of that godawful weed barrier plastic and never use anything like it again! The lengths people go to to cut down on weeds -- to the point of making a terrible growing environmenbt for their gardens. Rip it up! Let your plants' roots breathe and take in moisture!!!!

• curryrice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help.

Here's what I'm going to do:
    1. remove weed blocker
    2. investigate each drip head and make sure they are functional (apparently the half brown one's dripper head is stuck)
    3. dig out the dead ones, check the soil moisture level, and adjust the drip system timer accordingly
    4. replace the dead ones

one question about the soil moisture level: what would be the appropriate level?
    Say if I water in the morning at 7 AM, and check the soil at 7 PM, should the soil still be wet?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting