Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I plant here?

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 22:46

I have a garden bed area next to the house that is about 20' x 3' wide. It has good soil. I currently have pyracantha planted but I want it pull it out and plant something different. (tired of getting poked by the thorns. I am thinking about a yew tree hedge or a cedar hedge. This area faces west but it receives morning shade and afternoon (filtered light) because the house next door casts a shadow. I am hoping to plant this area in the fall. I would like it to get about 5 or 6 feet tall. I welcome your ideas please. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I plant here?

A three foot strip is very limiting. I know people do it all the time, but IMO, it's a bad practice. Unless you only plant small shrubs or taller, narrow conifers like some smaller arborvitaes, you don't have a lot of choices. I harp about this all the time, but it does bear repeating. Make thouse foundation beds large enough to accommodate more types of shrubs. Otherwise, you'll have a boring straight row of a small selection of plants.

If you're stuck with that 3-ft deep strip, here are some possibilities: spireas (many cultivars); boxwoods; DeGroot's Spire arborvitae, ornamental grasses (large selection) and you can also plant Knockout roses if you maintain them to less than 3-ft spread.

o

Here are some ideas:

Dwarf Yaupon holly
Variegated pittosporum (will require pruning)
dwarf cultivar of Indian Hawthorn maybe
Podocarpus (requires pruning, but can be kept to any size)
Sasanqua camellia -- like 'Bonanza' -- would be amazing in fall and early winter

All these are 'friendly' in that they do not have thorns.

o

MulchMama ~ thanks so much for your reply and very helpful tips. You're right, in that I am 'stuck' with this strip. I'll google some of the one's I haven't heard of. I like the boxwood idea. Any idea how tall they can get? Or what kind you might suggest?

dave ~ I appreciate your ideas. I like the camelia suggestion. I'll have to go and check out Bonanza. Thank you for all your help. Now I"m off to Google some of these plants.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 1:40

In general for the best visual effect you want shrubs to be 1 1/2 times as high as a bed is wide at the point they are to be planted. So if the whole bed is 3' wide then plant it with shrubs that can be attractively maintained at 4 1/2' tall. An exception would be where there are low windows or other features that you do not want to cover behind a planting spot.

o

Hi bboy, thanks as always for your suggestion. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm planting. What kind of plants would you recommend. They'll be planted next to the mobile home next door to me to hide the ugly skirting around the house.The property is mine and they wouldn't care anyway. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here