Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waitforspring2

Variegated elderberry problems

Waitforspring
14 years ago

I have a two year old variegated elderberry that has grown and flowered well, but for the second year in a row in early August it gets brown spots on the leaves and then they turn brown and crisp. Does anyone know what this and how to correct it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments (7)

• jean001
    14 years ago

Perhaps a heat waave dried it out?

Or the soil (potting mix?) went dry?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I am having trouble with my elderberry [sambucus] and posted on another thread. I did want to mention that I had another Sambucus 'Sutherland Gold' and I had similar problems with that. It would start out looking wonderful in the spring but by the time it had stopped flowering, whole branches would start dying. After three years of that, I finally shovel pruned it. It was a very pretty plant when it was healthy. I've heard a few other people report the same thing. Maybe there is something wrong with the new Sambucus hybrids?

• Waitforspring
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks prairiemoon2. I notice that we are in the same zone so we are probably having similar weather. I read your post and the problem seems similar--although your plant doesn't look as bad as mine yet. I'll have to read up on the disease symptoms and may shovel prune this one. It's so pretty until it starts this, but it's been two years in a row and the weather wasn't the same last year.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

You have a point. The 'Sutherland Gold' had problems even in years when the weather was just fine. I have not run across any explanation yet, as to why it did that, just other people who report the same. I'm thinking I may SPrune mine too. Did you see the response Brandon gave on my thread?

• little_ebe
    11 years ago

I don't know what I am doing so hope the photo comes through. Don't know if the two problems are related, but about 4 months ago, all three plums in the back just turned brown and died. Totally. The bark is split in many places and there are signs of some insect boring. Not sure what came first. Then a little later, my varigated elderberry died seemingly overnight and now the lilac's leaves are turning brown. Does anyone have a clue, because I don't and I am very upset. I live in the redwoods but get a lot of sun in the back. Everything was thriving until this hit. Never fertilized as the trees/shrubs are so big and healthy. Were.
    Thanks for any help/ideas.

Sharon

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Can you dig up one that is completely dead and look at the root system. If it was insects on the top growth, the roots would look fine. Are the roots firm? Non-existant? Rotted? Dried out? Is there a sour, foetid smell to the soil? Gophers? Voles?

A autopsy is the way to learn what went wrong.

• little_ebe
    11 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions. I will do that tomorrow. I also just noticed that one of the plum trees is putting out fresh growth from the side and the elderberry has tiny, new leaves on it. Thanks again for your good suggestions.