Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosebudlisa

Shrub in yard of our new place

rosebudlisa
12 years ago

Hi there!

I have been reading the forums tonight in hopes of getting a shrub in the SW corner of my house identified. I don't have a photo of it right now, but I will take one. We bought the house in June, so I didn't get to see it blooming this spring or if it did. Right now it's about 9-10' tall. It has broad leaves and clusters of green berries here and there. At first I thought it was some sort of lilac bush, but the leaves aren't the same and I know the lilac at my parent's place doesn't get berries. I am extremely allergic to poison ivy, oak and sumac so I seriously hope I wasn't cutting back a poisonous shrub this afternoon! Ack! I am pretty sure it must be a purchased shrub as it is pretty large and is planted in the area that borders the house in a space between some other shrubs. I know a picture would help more so I will try and take one tomorrow to post here. Thanks for any ideas! Nice to be here.

Comments (12)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Hi and welcome. It might be a type of Viburnum. If you could look at the leaves along the stem, determine if they line up opposite one another or proceed in an alternate fashion along the stem.

Poison ivy, oak and sumac all have compound leaves (google that if you are not sure what "compound leaf" means). And you're right, it's not likely they would be there (but that doesn't mean that poison ivy can't grow inside the shrub like a vine, so can't say never).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

you might spend a few hours googlings things you are allergic too.. and learning how to ID them.. BEFORE you go out bushwhacking.. dont you think.. lol ..

welcome ..

simple rule.. leaves of three.. let it be.. and on PIvy ... it seems to my eye.. it has multiple forms of leaves all on one plant .... one looking like your extended hand with finger together .. with a little thumb [sorta like the form of MI on a map] ... and others not doing it

need a pic for your ID ....

ken

• rosebudlisa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't worry, Ken, I KNOW all about the leaves of three, white berries, etc... This bush didn't really look like it was poison ivy, I just felt itchy after I got done trimming it back a bit and was thinking....what if? I am fine today, fortunately.

I'm going to try and attach a few pictures I took today.

• rosebudlisa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How does one get an image to show here? I am trying to copy and paste the web address at photobucket of a picture I took today, but it's not working. Help!

• User
    12 years ago

Rosebud,
    Go to the pic on Photobucket and look for the HTML address under the pic. Click on it.
    Then, create message and put the HTML code fro photobucket right into your message, the box.
    See if it works.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

check out the link.. as noted.. its the HTML code.. NOT IMG ...

paste it right here where you type ....

when you hit preview.. if you see it.. we will see it ...

then put all the words around it .. and bobs your uncle ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rosebudlisa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Here's a close up of a leaf and green berries from the shrub.

Thanks!

{{gwi:275332}}

• rosebudlisa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's another pic.

{{gwi:275333}}

• User
    12 years ago

Rosebud,
    I am pretty sure that that is a virbinum.
    There are 150 different kinds, but since you think this is an early bloomer, that will narrow it down some.
    The leaves are shaped exactly like a virburnum.
    Next spring, make a note of the flower color, the scent and notice what color those berries turn later this fall.
    Then you will be able to see exactly what kind of virburnum it is.
    They are nice shrubs, they are reliable, hardy, beautiful shrubs.
    Congrats on your shrub and your new home.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Actually it could be a dogwood. Shrub dogwoods (not Cornus florida) are very popular in the cooler zones. They also have opposite leaves.

Possible dogwoods include Cornus racemosa, Cornus sericea and a few others.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I also think that it may well be a shrub dogwood. My clue is that the leaf veins all curve up to run towards the leaf tip. Also the leaf stems (petioles) don't look quite right for Viburnums to me.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

I'm with esh_ga as well with a bias toward Cornus sericea.

tj