Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theosof

2 plants in one?

theosof
10 years ago

can anyone tell me what is going on with my little fur tree? It has been planted in a barrel for about 10 years. About 3 years ago this different type of evergreen started to grow from the trunk of the fur. I double checked to make sure it wasn't growing from the soil but it wasn't- it is growing from the trunk. What is going on?

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

It's reverting to the original form. Cut the stuff off or it will take over.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you want some learnin??? .. well hold on.. you are getting it... try not to fight the knowledge.. lol ...

first.. its a conifer ... not a shrub.. common misconception ... but call it whatever you want ...

second... it is a picea glauca... which is a white spruce ... not a FIR ... and not fur .... lol.. in european forests.. it is what i call a telephone pole tree .. big sucker ... see link

yours is a dwarf alberta spruce ... or more properly ... Picea glauca 'Conica' ... and if you google that name.. you will get bazillions of hits ...

DAS ... can be rooted.. or grafted ...

as rootings.. they have the greater potential to REVERT ... to P glauca ... as jean notes... and in 5 or 10 years... you will have a telephone pole there.. instead of your cute furry plant .... figure out where the reversion starts.. and snip it all out.. and be done with it ..

DAS are subject to spider mites... may as learn about those.. and take care of your babe in the future ...

enough learning for today????

if you wish to learn more about conifers.. stop in.. over in that forum ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"It's reverting to the original form."

Or, it could be sprouting from the rootstock, if grafted.

"its a conifer ... not a shrub"

In my world, it's every bit as much a shrub as it is a conifer!

"as rootings.. they have the greater potential to REVERT"

I'd be interested to hear more about this. I've never heard it before and wonder if there's documentation of this. I can't think of why it would be true, but maybe it is.

"DAS are subject to spider mites..."

You can say that again...and again...and again...and again...

• theosof
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone for the info. I will out the reversion asap. So the fuzzy dwarf is a hybrid, showing as the reversion?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"So the fuzzy dwarf is a hybrid, showing as the reversion?"

I don't really understand your sentence/question, but, NO, Picea glauca 'Conica' (Dwarf Alberta Spruce) is not a hybrid. It's a cultivar of the Picea glauca (White Spruce) species.

• stimpy926
    10 years ago

Dwarf Alberta Spruce "was first propagated from a sport on the parent plant, the white spruce. Plant enthusiasts J.G Jack and Alfred Rehder found a small section on the parent plant that looked very different. The needles were much smaller and softer, the twigs were tiny and the foliage had a dense appearance. They propagated that original sport, and the Dwarf Alberta Spruce was born.

Unfortunately, the mutation that resulted in the Dwarf Alberta Spruce is not very stable. I often see plants like the one in this picture that have a branch sticking out of them that looks very different from the rest of the plant. This is caused by a mutation in the dividing cells of the Dwarf Alberta Spruce, where it changed back to the parental type. If your Dwarf Alberta Spruce has this sort of sport, you should prune it out because it is more vigorous that the dwarf plant and will take over. A regular white spruce can reach 50-70 feet tall in the landscape, and if you planted a Dwarf Alberta Spruce, you probably don't have room for a full size white spruce."

I hear ya Brandon7

Here is a link that might be useful: source