Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One plant with different colored flowers - what is your opinion?

Posted by jujujojo none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 23:14

From African violets to Rhododendron, I tend to like the variations of colors on the same plant.

Do you enjoy it or do you resent it?

Weigela

photo 1_zps9ee28156.jpg

Azaleas:

photo 2_zps1852f914.jpg

photo 1_zps7e55c777.jpg

photo 4_zpsd903b811.jpg

photo 3_zpsb1c5b965.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One plant with different colored flowers - what is your opini

i would not call it.. having different colored flowers ...

i would term it.. more along the lines of opening to one color.. and fading thru a series of lesser colors ....

and i think that is a bonus from mother nature .... that the flower stays intact long enough to change.. before our very eyes.. and bloom in waves ....

as always.. thx for the pix

ken

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 8:38

I like it!
Those are nice Azalea Bonsais.
Mike

o

Since they are bonsai, they may be grafted, if not just aging flowers as Ken suggested although I've never seen an azalea planted in the ground do that. Needless to say, there are a LOT of azaleas around here.

Where did the pics come from?

o

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 12:43

Many cultivars of Azaleas are known to have multi-colored flowers. For example, Satsuki azalea. Recall these occur in African violets, roses, peaches, etc. as well.

o

These types of azaleas have different colored blooms. It is part of their DNA. Not a fading issue. Some camellias do the same thing.

I personally think it gives them a lot of character.

Love them.

o

And this peach ...

photo 14_zps795e7ff3.jpg

o

It's quite common in azaleas, roses, camellias, and others. Buds simply revert back to an earlier phenotype. Plus, they commonly produce sports (spontaneous mutations), many of which have been cultivated and become much favored garden cultivars.

The southern Indicas are famous for sporting and reverting right in our backyard gardens, for example. Bonsai culture has nothing to do with it. However, one of the Satsuki azaleas I trained for many years used to sport regularly on just one branch. I found it distracting on that particular specimen and would remove those flowers as soon as they showed color. In the landscape, I loved it.

Camellias do this even more than azaleas. I've seen all white, all pink, and striped blooms on camellias.

o

Well this makes me want to pay more attention even if Azaleas are pretty boring to me. There sure are plenty of them around to observe. If I've seen this before out in the landscape, I probably thought it was a tangle of individuals.

There is no doubt the little potted trees are adorable!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here