Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for Burford hollies (not DWARF Burford, but the big one!)

Posted by lceh 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 23:48

I'm trying to find a source for the good old-fashioned Burford hollies, and all I can find is the dwarf variety ("Nana"), which seems to be all the rage these days. Anyone know where I can find the original, the one that grows to 15-20'? I want to plant 3 as a screen between us and the neighbors. I hate it when some new variety of a plant becomes trendy and suddenly you can't find the old standbys anymore -- kind of like trying to find a nice blue hydrangea that ISN'T "Endless Summer" -- nearly impossible without placing a special order somewhere. Sigh. Anyway, if anyone knows of a reputable mail-order source I'd be grateful, my Google search isn't turning up much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for Burford hollies (not DWARF Burford, but the big on

two plants can not have the same latin name ...

if google is failing.. it is most likely that you are searching using the common name ...

what is the latin name of the 'good old-fashioned Burford hollies'

ken

o

Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii'. But, I'll bet you know that already, don't you, lceh?

lceh, do you have any privately owned nurseries or garden centers in your area? They will often carry the old tried and true varieties. OR, they might know who does. There are still 'mom and pop' nurseries all over the place, you just have to ask the right questions of the right person to find them.

Just a suggestion (and what I do); sorry I can't be of help with the mail order query.

o

Yes, I know the Latin name and have Googled it like mad but can't seem to find a nursery that has it. I think you're right, rhizo, my next step is to get my favorite local place to find it for me. I was just hoping to find some smaller plants and the local nurseries only seem to be able to special order 5 gallon or larger plants, which gets pricey fast!

I've got to stop falling in love with those mature specimens of "old-fashioned" plants. My next quest is for a "Claudia Wannamaker" magnolia -- there are 40- and 50-year-old trees all over town here, but what do I find in the nurseries (even the good ones)? Nothing but "Little Gem", "Teddy Bear", and "Bracken's Brown Beauty". Guess I'm going to have to pay shipping on that one.

o

It's worth the search for Claudia. ;-)

Sadly, it's a vicious circle with nurseries. They grow what they think the public wants and the public buys only what's readily available. And around and around.

Good luck....I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

o
RE: Source for Burford hollies 2

I meant to ask: where are you located (in general)?

o

I heard Michael Dirr speak a few months ago and he was pointing everyone back to the old standards. In so many cases these new introductions are rushed to market without enough testing and really don't turn out to be all they're proclaimed, especially after a few years in the garden.
Rhizo_1, we're in Virginia, and there are Burford holly trees EVERYWHERE (except in the nurseries).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here