Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deutzia alternatives?

Posted by danell 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 0:14

Greetings, I was thinking of using Salix Purpurea Canyon Blue Dwarf Arctic Willow as a transition between conifers and deciduous trees but then I came across Deutzia which is reported to be best used among conifers . . . but it only blooms for two weeks. That's a short time for a plant to take up room the rest of the year. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deutzia alternatives?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 11:37

Shrubby cinquefoil, if long bloom is the priority.

o

Oh my Gosh, bboy you are everywhere! (Chuckle) Perhaps you should come down here and just design my yard for me.
Thanks for the info on Shrubby cinquefoil, I'll research it some more after I get off work.

I think I've decided on Lagerstromeia 'Tuskegee' for the deciduous trees. What do you think would be best between these and the conifers, Deutzia or Cinequefoil? Duetzia I understand has nice Fall foliage and just blends in when not in bloom during Spring and Summer. Danka'

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 19:47

Hot location needed for crape myrtles, don't remember what your situation is.

o

West facing yard with loads of sun, temperatures in the 90s and triple digits in summer, clay soil, Ph 7-7.5.

I'm still looking for other trees but so far the Crape Myrtle is the best candidate in terms of size, litter, canopy, other.

I need a shrub about 3-4 wide (possibly 5 but pushing it) that will look good and serve as a transistion between 'Tuskegee' and conifers (Emerald Green, Holmstrup, Golden Mop).

Ahh, the weekend and four days to play - Yipeee!!

Probably should have posted as "Shrub needed..." rather than "Deutzia alternative"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here