Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emerald Green Arborvitae spacing for thick privacy fence

Posted by ashug987 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 1:12

Hi All,
I want to put a privacy fence along with the existing chain link fence on side of my property line. The length is about 90 and I bought 70 six feet Emerald Green Arborvitae for it (these are about 1.25 wide), so that I can plant them side and side to create a thick hedge without waiting for them to grow.

I am thinking about putting these about 15 inches apart. My concern is that weather I am putting these too close? Are there any disadvantages for putting them too close? Will planting them that close prohibit them to grow at the normal pace?

Out of 90 length about 35 has a retaining wall and I am planning to put them right adjacent to the retaining wall. Wondering if I am making the right decision?

I bought the Lilly Miller brand Vita start liquid to use as the starter fertilizer. Wondering if the experts over here has more other suggestions. Since I am planning that many trees, I want to avoid all possible mistakes. Also let me know if there are any other things I should aware about for taking care of these plants.

Thanks
-Ashug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emerald Green Arborvitae spacing for thick privacy fence

15 inches is too close. These will get 3 to 4 feet wide. I planted mine 3.5 feet apart to give them room to grow, and in three years they are almost touching. If you are impatient, put them a bit closer, but crowding doesn't do much for the health of a plant, IMO. I'd give them space to grow at the wall, too.

I don't fertilize newly planted trees or shrubs for the first year. You don't want them to put out a lot of new growth, you want them to put out a lot of new roots. Keep them watered when you don't get any rain, and don't let the root ball dry out completely.

o

I agree, plant them no closer than on 3 foot centers

o

There was a gap in the mixed border along one side of my yard, close to my neighbor's porch, and I wanted privacy so I planted some Emerald Green Arborvitaes along there. They were pretty big, six-eight feet tall, in 10 gallon pots. Like Saypoint, I planted them approx. 3.5 feet apart on center and about 4 feet from the lot line. This may look far apart if the trees are very small when you plant them, but it won't be once they're larger. When they are mature, I am hoping they touch and feather together a bit but don't crowd each other.

I also planted them in a sort of loose zig-zag pattern instead of straight in a row. I don't like straight lines and rigid geometric shapes in the yard, prefer a more naturalized appearance. I am also planting a mix of deciduous and evergreen shrubbery, and perennials in front of the Arborvitae, so essentially they are going to serve as a green backdrop.

o

If you plant a double row at 3.5 feet (or more) on center, with the trees in the front row planted between the ones in the back row, you'll get the quick privacy without crowding the trees. The 2 rows, of course, need to be, at a minimum, 3.5 feet apart. I guess this is just what Terrene did, I just think of it a little differently.

I've made the mistake of crowding trees in the past, and it is one I would recommend you try to skip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here