Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_thurston

Need to start over with my Pee Gee hydrangea

joe_thurston
13 years ago

I have a 15 year old Pee Gee hydrangea that is in really bad shape, having suffered from neglect for many years. I hate to give it up, it's a beautiful plant, but it needs some serious work, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

The "tree" trunk is about 3 feet tall. From there, half a dozen branches fan out, and they're all bent over, their tips almost touching the ground. I've read that you can cut back a PG and re-train it into a tree again. How do I go about doing this?

Do I cut it all the way to the ground, or half way, or right where the trunk ends now? How do I train it into a tree? How long will it take to grow back as a tree? How tall will it get? Can I transplant it when I prune it back? When's the best time to do this?

If anyone has done this before, or knows how to do it, I'd love to hear your suggestions!

-jwt

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

hey joe

really need a picture to give you any good advice

ken

• joe_thurston
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ken,

Thanks for your attention. Here is an early spring photo where you can sort of see the challenge. Now in September the bending of the branches is even more pronounced. I would be happy to include a current photo if this isn't enough.

{{gwi:275798}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Well, I have to say that I think it looks great and I love the arching branches! I wouldn't do anything to it.

• ego45
    13 years ago

'Weeping' is a middle name for all PGs. :-) You have to live with that or buy new, upright cultivar(s).
    However... I see some new growth coming from the base of the shrub which means that if you cut it to 6-8" it will produce new shoots and one of them (strongest and the most vertical) if stalked and supported for several years will be the new trunk for the new tree.
    But...no matter what, top of the tree will always weep and then it will be your choice to call it either 'gracefully arching' or 'drooping' :-)

13 years ago

first.. are we sure that is a pee gee???? ... check the link .... are the leaves proper???

then ... we need to decide whether it is on a standard ... or trained to height ... a pic of the lowest 2 or 3 feet might help ... are there any buds or small branches down low???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ego45
    13 years ago

Ken, there is a very slim chance that tree planted 15 years ago by NOT-collector wouldn't be a PG.
    Vast majority of paniculatas sold in 90's and before were PGs with Tardiva the only rare alternative available then.
    ...and I could tell you that this is NOT a Tardiva, even without seeing the blooms.

13 years ago

i have no real experience with this... but why can he just lope off anything bigger than about an inch.. and let it rejuvenate from the bottom up .. or do it in phases???

again.. i cant see in the pic .... if they all meet in one trunk from the ground... but if not ... why not take out one large branch this fall a few inches from the ground .. one next spring.. and the last large one next fall.. and have a whole new bush..

and does it sucker when in this form????

though i have to agree ... i like the arching form ... go figure

ken

• joe_thurston
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ken,

Thanks for your attention. Here is an early spring photo where you can sort of see the challenge. Now in September the bending of the branches is even more pronounced. I would be happy to include a current photo if this isn't enough.

{{gwi:275798}}

• joe_thurston
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Gnomes attacked last night when I was trying to post these pictures. Thus the delay.

This was planted by a landscape architect, so I'm sure it's a PG. Also, in the last couple of years, branches have been splitting and I've had to prune quite a bit.

Three photos, one from directly across the trunk, one from the base of the trunk looking up, and one from the top looking down.

{{gwi:275799}}
    {{gwi:275800}}
    {{gwi:275801}}

• forensicmom
    13 years ago

It looks like a smaller version of my 'Tardiva'. Did it bloom? If so, do you have any pictures of that?

My 'tardiva' was planted 5 years ago and I'm having the same problem as you described. It looks beautiful but it droops all the way to the ground. I was told to prune it a lot, especially the lower branches after it finished blooming this fall.

• joe_thurston
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, forensicmom

Yes, it did bloom. Here is a picture.

{{gwi:275802}}

I think the advice "prune a lot" is good advice. I wish someone had told me that 10 years ago. That's why I want to start over - I think this shrub has great potential - I see pictures of PG's 8-10' tall with loads of blossoms - that's what I'd like to see. Don't know if it's possible or not, though - and it definitely isn't possible unless I do something to the existing shape.

-jwt

13 years ago

group of three pix above... top one..

can you see the difference between older branches.. and younger, browner branches????

you would take out some of the older stuff.. leaving the younger ...

just cut out the most offensive one .... see how the plant responds ... and take another next summer ...

you can always take more.. later.. after you learn a bit .. and practice ...

but you can never staple them back on.. lol ...

there is no reason to replace it... unless you just got a hate on for it ...

at worse.. practice ... you can always remove it in a year or two.. after thoroughly messing it up.. lol.. been there.. done that ...

ken