Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wexgardener

Dealing with diseased guelder rose

wexgardener
9 years ago

Have been trying to get a straight answer I have a guelder rose wherein the top tips of the main stems are diseased. I tried cutting of the diseased bits but unfortunately it spreads down to the nearest buds so it won't allow for new growth upwards.ive been told to prune above nodes to encourage new growth except the problem is some of the nodes are located just above the roots and as I said before some of the diseased parts are located on a main stem so I can't really cut anywhere what do I do with these? With regards to those that are on branches do I prune the off where they meet a swelling?

Comments (7)

• wexgardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is one with the node swelling at the roots

• wexgardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

Identifying the specific disease and treating it are important steps. Is it possible you have been inadvertently spreading the infection? Pruning shears should be disinfected with alcohol or 10% Clorox solution between cuts to avoid doing this. This plant is usually a very vigorous grower so you ought to be able to cut back to the nodes very close to ground level as shown in the photo and have lots of new growth. Doing so before you've dealt with the infection itself may, however, be an exercise in futility.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Wex - you've asked about this plant at least 7 times on new threads and you've had a straight answer several times. You just don't seem to like what is said. This is a cast iron shrub and there is no reason at all why you can't just cut away anything you consider is diseased. It is not even likely that the 'disease' is anything to worry about. Farmers chop these down with a flail on the back of a tractor and they thrive.

Maybe you are expecting to see a visible bud at every node. A node, by definition, is every point where a leaf, twig or branch is attached. So I doubt the only nodes available are down by the roots. So you could cut above any pair of leaves anywhere on the bush and that would be above a node. In one of your posts you showed this photo. There are dozens of nodes in the picture and not much evidence of disease.

It would be helpful if you'd add to a single thread and not keep starting new ones because people can't see the back history and previous photographs.

• lisanti07028
    9 years ago

Wexgardener, could you tell us where you are?

Right now in NJ my viburnum opulus looks dreadful, because it's almost fall. The leaves are beat up and bug-eaten, and I'm not going to do anything about it, because they are going to be falling off the bush within a month or so.

• wexgardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry it's just thatwhen I cut down to where it is diseased and it dies down to where the nearest bud . Will cutting back. To where the actual branch twig is cause new growth? And how long will it take ?sorry for posting again I tried continuing those previous posts but after getting no response after like two weeks I kinda wanted a reply . There are some stems with no branches or nodes until the bottom. So just cutting off even the smallest branch or twig will encourage growth it's just that on the stems I was talking about that have a swelling near the roots their very tops are dead and everytime I cut it back it just dies back

• lisanti07028
    9 years ago

Could you post a picture of the whole bush? And could you please tell us where you are? Just in general - state and north/south, so we can get an idea of your climate.