Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't tell me I need a pollinator!!!

Posted by laceyvail 6A WV (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 7:03

i have a magnificent planting--about 12 feet in diameter--of Arctostaphyllos uva-ursi (cultivar either 'Vancouver jade' or 'Massachusetts'). It bloomed for the first time this year and was it ever lovely. I looked forward to berries. But no berries. I hope I don't need a pollinator since I don't have room for another clone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't tell me I need a pollinator!!!

Not to worry...Bearberry flowers have all of the essential 'pieces and parts' within the same flower. The correct term for the other plant required for pollination needs, by the way, is pollenizer. Pollinators are the agents that assist in pollination. Your plant does not need pollenizers but won't make berries without plenty of pollinators. ;-)

Bees and other such insects (and even hummingbirds) are the pollinators for these plants. Do you have plenty of buzzy activity during flowering time?

o

about 12 feet in diameter .... It bloomed for the first time this year

===>>> devils advocate here ...

why is it so big??? ... and yet just now achieving sexual maturity???? [keep in mind i am not knowledgeable with this plant] ?????

how long planted??
amended hole???
how much fertilizer????

total stab in the dark ... a hyper-fertilized plant .. especially with the wrong formula [like its in the middle of a heavily fertilized lawn??] ... can grow vegetatively in excess .. at the cost of flowers ...

sooooo ... it simply a teenager.. who failed at its first go round with reproduction [and its parents are breathing a sigh of relief] .. and it will do better next time [if you ever let it go out on a date again] .. lol ...

or the fert thingee ....

or .... fertilization happened at a time of drought or any other weather related occurrence that interfered with the bugs .... the 'tors .... hurricane... 60 inches of rain????

who knows ... just something about that 12 feet tall and first flowering is bothering me ....

well.. as they say.. there is always next year ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ken, remember this is a groundcover, very flat. It had some trouble its first couple of years (dug up by an enthusiastic dog for one thing)but the last couple of years has grown by leaps and bounds. No fertilizer in my poor, sandy, acidic soil except some rock phosphate.

I do have many pollinators, to use the term correctly now, and usually see the first ones with the early crocus.

So perhaps I'll have berries next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here