Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement from Boxwood blight

Posted by ALL50 zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 9:39

I'm looking for fellow devastated gardeners. I've now lost over 80 dwarf English boxwood to the blight. Photos show the rapid, about 3-4 weeks of the loss. It has travelled from the back yard to one side and part of the front. I still have another 60+ that aren't infected yet, but I'm not hopeful. I'm looking for suggestions what I can replace it with on my patio garden, that is evergreen and dwarf. The boxwood blight spores live in the soil for 5 years, I'm looking at digging out the gardens and replacing the soil if I can't find a replacement plant. Anyone have any help?

Before

After

This post was edited by ALL50 on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 10:10

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement from Boxwood blight

Try Japanese holly, Ilex crenata. Looks almost identical to box and much less prone to any problems or winter bronzing. I'd consider the cultivars 'Helleri' or 'Green Island'.

o

man WHAT A GARDEN .... !!!!

thx for showing us ...

this is one argument against a monoculture.... when one goes.. its like dominoes....

any interest in becoming enabled in mini conifers... we can fill up all those spots real fast ....

pic below is a bunch of mini.. and small conifers surrounding my patio ... much more interest.. than a monoculture..

and as trees.. if you pick the right ones.. will NEVER need to be trimmed.... and will need absolutely NO CARE ..once established ...

pop on over to that forum if you wish

ken

photo Patioconifers20090904_3293.jpg

photo Patioconifers20090904_3294.jpg

o

• Posted by conon 6b, Southern, IN (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 14:23

Soft Touch hollies....

Here is a link that might be useful: soft touch hollies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here