Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

General suitability of holly?

zaphod42
12 years ago

There are some great sales going on right now and am wondering about their suitability in my zone and conditions. Looking to use as a informal privacy barrier with neighbors backyard. Does not need to be dense, just interrupt line-of-sight during summer months. Mostly sunny to full sun. Some snow piled around, but mostly just whats fallen from the sky. Pros or cons? Which type is best - Castle Spire or Blue Maid?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Vicki
    12 years ago

I had no luck with it until I put it in a very, very sheltered courtyard where it receives next to no wind in the winter. Mine was Blue Princess and Prince.

• kevin_5
    12 years ago

Not my first choice in your zone for an informal privacy barrier. Sunnytop has got it right.

• Chris_MI
    12 years ago

As a line of sight border for our 2 1/2 acres, I use rose of sharon in zone 5 Michigan. They grow quite upright and bloom in the summer in white, pink, reddish or purple/blue. They are late to leaf out in the spring and are not as dense as a holly. I also use them around the Air Conditioner unit to provide it with great afternoon shade without crowding the unit and preventing air flow. Rose of sharon are reasonable, as the single ones self seed, the double ones do not but both are easily propragated.
    Think about trying Mahonia Grape Holly, which has yellow flowers in the spring, dark berries in the fall and does fine in sun or shade. It is a regular holly type with its prickly leaves-unlike the grape holly from Texas which is more like an ornamental grass.
    You could alternate both for costs & bloom color.
    Even in sheltered area in my yard, Blue Girl had struggled then died, so my Blue Boy is sitting there all alone.
    As a foundation planting, next spring I will alternated 3 grape hollies with 2 knockout roses.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

Interesting. I always thought Mahonia was touchy for Z5. Many references give it a Zone 6.

I have several Blue Prince/ss and they do well. Castle Spire did not. Dragon Lady did not (has part Z6 parents).

Actually my Castle Spire is still kicking around, but I keep having to prune back the tall parts from winter damage. Its UN-spired for sure.

Would Boxwood Green Mountain work?

• Chris_MI
    12 years ago

Shhhh, don't tell my Mahonia grape holly that they can't grow in my windy, non-protected, zone 5 yard that I never irrigate. (just outside of Ann Arbor MI; in an open, old corn field) They have been here about 10 years and are doing well. They are growing in the clay soil in the sunny front of the house, and 3 years ago I transplanted some of their runners in the sandy back yard in the shade. I keep them pruned to 4 feet so I can see out the window.

Good luck sunnytop, just buy one plant if the zoning is questionable and see how it thrives.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

chris-mi - I think it's helpful for the Op to point out that Mahonia is not in actual fact a holly. The leaves just have a resemblance. Is your Mahoni the suckering M aquifolium Oregon grape? Or one of the larger leaved and more showy Mahonias? These often flower in the winter and are beautifully scented. I am also puzzled by your reference to the 'grape holly from Texas' which is like an ornamental grass. Can you say which Mahonia you are referring to? I can't think which one it might be.