Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hemlock hedge is overgrown

Posted by tootswisc z4/5Wi (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 9:48

We have a beautiful hemlock hedge that is over 100 feet long. We are not good trimmers since it looked just beautiful weeping into our yard. Well now it is gigantic and growing into overhead power lines. The hedge is more like a tree line! We have drastically trimed back part of it to find lot's of bare spots. Yikes! I hope we haven't ruined part of the hedge. What is the best way to trim the hedge back.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hemlock hedge is overgrown

Since most hemlocks are apt to grow as tall trees and not into a shrub form, maintaining as a hedge will require consistent, frequent and regular attention. Generally, conifers which are genetically inclined to grow tall, like the hemlocks, if pruned radically after a period of inattention will display bare, woody areas like you describe. They can sometimes fill in but often will remain that way - not many conifers will sprout new growth from bare wood.

o

Well that is sad news. Fortunately, our neighbors insist that we keep their side trimmed so hopefully things will fill back in from the other side. The hedge was trimmed 2 years ago. It looks just beautiful but the branches shooting are becoming thick and heavy.

o

I have a hemlock hedge over 100' long and have described its care elsewhere on this forum. I prune it (now have to hire it out, under my supervision) once a year. Late winter, earliest spring. Don't dare skip a year. These are trees, not shrubs.

I shear mine but they could be hand-clipped for a more naturalistic look. That would take a tremendous amount of labor. I keep mine about 15' or 18' tall and it is a mighty battle. It gets a lot of sun, necessary to keep the full look, and I water religiously. They are shallow-rooted. I fertilize with 10-10-10 every few years. Probably should do every year.

This is a great screen from my neighbors--we prune both sides as I don't want them near it--they are not gardeners. But I doubt I'd plant it again--it's 28 years old--because of the maintenance.

No wooly adelgid tho that exists in my town and region. The deer have started to browse it so now I have to spray with Liquid Fence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here