Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak Leaf Holly

Posted by supremedaddalou z6 KY (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 9:59

Anybody out there have any experience with oak leaf holly? I want to use it as a foundation planting, against the northeast side of the house. It would get morning and very early p.m. sun. I'm especially concerned about it becoming sparse and open without afternoon light. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak Leaf Holly

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 12:49

Cultivar?

o

I too would love to know the botanical name of this shrub.

o

Ilex X 'Conif' (patented hybrid)

As a hybrid, is is correctly named Ilex X 'Oak Leaf Holly' or 'Red Oak Leaf Holly' or Ilex X 'Conif' ;-)

It's a new one in the red holly series. Those are some great looking hollies, and on my list of plants to add to my landscape. I believe that the Red Holly series were derived from seedling selections of Ilex X 'Mary Nell'. I THINK.

As with most hollies, it will stay more compact with plenty of light. If this location gets about 6 hours of direct sun, your plant should respond beautifully.

o

Its botanical name is a problem, especially since I'm not at the nursery to look at its tag. It seems to be a Red Holly hybrid. I have found it online listed as Ilex x "Oak Leaf", Ilex cornuta "Oak Leaf", and Ilex hybrida "conaf" Oak Leaf. When I saw it at the nursery, seems like it had a generic tag -- definitely not a Monrovia or Iseli product.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 2, 06 at 14:12

Since these red hollies are quite new on the market you may have to become one of those who can report on experiences with it.

o

here is a photo of mine which has been growing since 2000.(sorry for the poor quality pic)
started with a one-gallon, maybe 18"-24", and it now stands at 8' tall. you can see the form is pyramidal. the site is very bright with some direct sun; there is a mature pine just beyond the shrub that provides shade during mid-day. this view is facing east/southeast. it is not perfectly full of foliage in the center, on the east side, most likely since that is the area that receives less sunlight. i have not pruned it at all. it is standing as a specimen and i also wanted it there for screening the view of the neighbor.
the site linked below say partial shade is preferred by this plant.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is a link that might be useful: red hollies hybrids

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here