Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to KILL unwanted shrubs & trees...

Posted by cheryllou mid-Tn zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 30, 06 at 10:01

I have a Rose of Sharon bush & a volunteer Maple tree which have joined forces in my yard. I need to get rid of the bush & keep the tree. Problem is, they are not seperate enough to dig. The tree is about 12' tall & the bush about 6'. How can I kill this shrub? Also, I have a few volunteer shrubs in my garden which need to be removed. My experience in the past has been that if I cut them down, they come back stronger than ever. These are not in areas where they need to be. I don't think Roundup would do the job. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to KILL unwanted shrubs & trees...

sever at or near the ground ... drip or paint 100% roundup just on the edge of green, between the bark and pulpwood on the stump ...

leave it there until the leaves fall off both .. then surgically remove the bush .. rather than trying to get it all out in one fell tug ...

ken

o

Yep, cut the unwanted one almost to the ground, paint the stump, especially the part where the center joins the bark (that is where new growth occurs) ... I would suggest Brush Be Gone or some other product for "woody" plants, but I have heard others say that Roundup can work (and Roundup does make a woody plant killer now).

Since the poison is taken up by that tree, you don't have to worry that any thing underground belonging to the other tree will be affected.

If it dies nicely, I would not even worry about digging out the stump, just mulch over it if possible.

o

There are many shrubs that don't sprout from the ground and need just the stump removed. I have a pruning saw that I use for cutting roots, and I also use pruners and even loppers to cut them. I just cut most of the shrub away, then dig or scrape around the base and cut or saw whatever roots I encounter. In most cases - including Rose of Sharon, a red-twig dogwood, a Salix lapponum, and others, I've had no re-emergence, although I've left most of the roots in the ground - they just rot. A shrub with which this will NOT work is flowering quince, which sprouts from every #$%$^ bit of root left behind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here