Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement suggestion needed

Posted by dallasblooms 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 10:11

I have 10 year old junipers flanking my south facing front porch sidewalk that are overgrown and half dead in this endless summer heat. Since I live in a subdivision, privacy for my porch is needed (it's a real porch large enough to hold a rocking chair, glider, bistro table, and several large pots - my favorite reading place). The porch is covered with 12 foot tall white columns and side railings, also white. The junipers are in the planting beds in front of the porch on either side of the approach sidewalk. The available planting area is about 4-5 feet deep.

The junipers were great at first because they were evergreen, got tall, and we decorated them at Christmas. But for some reason they grew leaning away from the porch and we planted them too close to the sidewalk so trimming was a disaster - they are totally lopsided now. So we're looking for something evergreen, mature height 8 to 10 feet, width 4 feet, can take sun and shade (existing Red Oak tree west of porch gives late afternoon shade), and can take Texas heat. Bonus points for color/fragrance/flowers but not required (since I don't think it exists :).

I guess I should mention the planters are sprinkled and the house is brick, rose colored if that matters. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement suggestion needed

they were too close to the house.. and that is why they leaned out towards the sunshine ...

without a picture.. its hard for me to give any definitive suggestions ...

whatever long term solution comes up.. you might want to think about annual and perennial vines to give some quicker privacy.. e.g. clematis [if tx approp] .. morning glory.. ets ...

Here is a link that might be useful: pix how to

o
RE: Replacement suggestion needed

Can't make it happen from work, sorry, restricted use. I tried to be descriptive - a sidewalk leading to an open front porch southern facing, full sun until late afternoon, 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide shrub need.

I had a suggestion for a youpon - Foster maybe. Haven't checked it out yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here