Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerogork2

Transplant Problem of Butterfly bush (and others)

emerogork
9 years ago

The property was sold and I had to transplant shrubs in the heat of the summer.

They did not take to the treatment too well and most of the leaves shriveled and died. Some fell off, others remained on the bush.

I took cuttings and also set the plants in the ground. Both received care and water accordingly. As hoped, the cuttings started sending out new leave sprouts and now I see that the plants have too.

There may be noting more I can do but I wonder if anyone has any experience wit this. As with late fall trimming (which you should never do) the plant will send out new branches that will be killed with the winter freeze. Are these new sprouts a false hope?

I have seen growth like this on other cuttings but they die off easily. Is there something I did wrong with those?

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

a pic is worth a thousand more words ..

where are you ...

stop fertilizing if you are.. things need to harden off for winter ...

i really dont understand... what you are asking ... they will either winter over or not ... so what is it.. more specifically.. that you are asking???

i dont understand if the cuttings are potted or also in the ground... with the plants ...

ken

• emerogork
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cuttings are in a glass flask in the window. If they continue to sprout leaves, I will pot up a few in soil and see what happens.

As for the main bush, I just want to know if there might be anything more to do to assure success.

I believe that fertilizers will not help at this point and may actually do harm.

I did trim the bush back to about 1/3 to reduce the need to regrow in too many places and allow energy to go for root development.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Cuttings often sprout new leaves, just as a bouquet might do in a vase of water, but that doesn't mean they will grow into plants. The leaves are growing from energy in the cutting and that is not what you want. Buddleja is very easy to grow from cuttings but it would be better to plant them in cuttings medium or sharp sand if you want them to root properly. It's roots you're after, not foliage. At least not in the early days.

• emerogork
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Granted, some cuttings, especially woody ones, will sprout leaves only due to the residual energy in the branches themselves however, I have had good results with my method.

They sit in water for a few days until they show signs of growth. Then I move them into a water soaked soil in a pot. They are kept in deep water for a month or so or then they show rigorous growth. Eventually, I decrease the water level until it is in the proper moisture soil and they will be ready for planting outdoors in the spring. Scoring the stems/bark with a sharp blade and applying rooting hormone helps. As I said, this has been successful for me many times.

This works for me, it may not work for everyone. Your garden environment tells you how it wants to be treated by letting certain plants thrive an not letting others. Don't be fooled thinking that talent or education is all it takes that makes someone good at gardening. You cater to the environment that you have and you will be successful. After that, experience and education will help.

It is a lot like dieting.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

OK, clearly you know what you are doing. I responded on the assumption that you were asking for advice and hadn't done Buddleja cuttings before. Especially since you said, "I have seen growth like this on other cuttings but they die off easily. Is there something I did wrong with those?" I was trying to answer that question based on my experience.