Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Dog peeing

patty_cakes
10 years ago

How do you keep a dog from 'watering the bushes'? I'm trying desperately to fill my backyard with various trees, flowers, and shrubs, to create a park-like environment where I can ' spend my later years', but DD(dear dog)is preventing this from happening. Can anyone offer tips, suggestions, or ideas short of putting a fence around every plant? Thank you very much!!

Comments (7)

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Training, training, training. And even then, there are no guarantees. Place a sacrificial shrub somewhere and reward him for peeing on it. A boulder that suits him size-wise would be even better. Leash him and encourage him to go on your target item, not his. Dogs are such creatures of routine, this shouldn't take too long.

We have an 8-month old Aussie mix puppy who hasn't begun to hike his leg yet, but I am already picking out things to train him on. It took forever to housetrain him, so I'm just glad he isn't doing it on our floors anymore.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

talk to your vet..

get one of the products like bitter apple ....

go out and spritz all the bushes on the grass side ... just one spritz per plant ...

put the dog on the leash ... inside the back door.. spray them a mouthful ... i did it to myself first.. its safe.. they will go thru the peanut butter on the palette thingee.... its hilarious,.,.

then walk him to every bush ... and watch him shy away from each.. and give them a stern .... and loudish NO ... and a slight tug on the collar ....

next time out.. spritz the mouth again.. and say no ...

etc.. ad nauseum ...

soon enough.. you wave the container at the dog.. his ears go down.. he looks at you sheepishly .. and puts his head down .. you say NO ... and let him out.. then watch from the window... and i bet my shiny nickle.. he wont go near any scented bush ... if he does.. back tot eh leash ... and walk him around.. until he does his biz.. where you allow .... perhaps.. leave a mature tree unsprayed.. so he can do it there ...

lets be clear.. you are the problem in the equation... he is doing.. what dogs do... its your job to train him ... using the product.. and voice ...

and if you are watching from the back door... and he looks back ... as he is lifting a leg ... yell your NO.. and wave the bottle.. and he will scoot away ...

its the pavlovian system ... but as avoidance..

good luck ...

a well trained dog.. is a shear joy.. it is a bonding experience.... he will relish the time spent with you.. and come to respond to voice alone ....

just dont give up .. i mean really it took the kids almost 3 years to stop peeing in their pants... but i bet you can train a dog inside 30 days ....

ken

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Put in posts, rocks etc. for him to use instead - it doesn't have to be a living shrub. Or fence off the new plantings, same as if you had a deer or rabbit problem.

• Tim
    10 years ago

I don't have any pets, so my knee-jerk reaction is to tell you to get rid of the dog. :-) But on a more sympathetic note, I would have to agree with Mulchmamma. Train him to urinate on one permanent object. Also, it sounds like you have a high-energy dog. Make sure you take him out on frequent walks and give him LOTS of exercise. Letting him run free in the backyard is not a good substitute for spending time running and walking your dog. If you don't, he will make up his own fun by destroying your plants and gardens.
    But if that doesn't work...get rid of the dog.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I am SO missing the two dogs we lost near the end of last year. Jimmy and Hallie were 13 and 14 years old and died within two months of each other. They were just amazing -- pottied on command, and only on mulched areas. At our previous home, we made a mulched potty area, about 300 sq. ft., and as soon as they would do their business, they would look at me for the "free" command to run onto the lawn. Then when we moved to Kansas, they were so used to peeing on mulch, they just did it in the flower beds, and that was fine with me. It never killed anything.

The two we have now though...8 months and 18 months now. They wouldn't do it on mulch if their lives depended on it.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Delete dupe.

This post was edited by MulchMama on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 18:00

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I am SO missing the two dogs we lost near the end of last year. Jimmy and Hallie were 13 and 14 years old and died within two months of each other. They were just amazing -- pottied on command, and only on mulched areas. At our previous home, we made a mulched potty area, about 300 sq. ft., and as soon as they would do their business, they would look at me for the "free" command to run onto the lawn. Then when we moved to Kansas, they were so used to peeing on mulch, they just did it in the flower beds, and that was fine with me. It never killed anything.

The two we have now though...8 months and 18 months now. They wouldn't do it on mulch if their lives depended on it.