Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Doublefile Viburnum Is Blooming

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 16, 09 at 11:28

I saw an opening bloom and now have noticed a number of buds which will hopefully open over the next few weeks. A second Viburnum, also a Mariesii, shows no signs. They are both 3 years old. Neither bloomed this past spring, but did bloom a little last spring. We had a very cool/wet spring and summer.

Is this fall bloom normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Doublefile Viburnum Is Blooming

I believe it's a response to all the water we've had this summer in our area. Growth spurts, with a few eager blooms. Can't account for lack of bloom in spring, when they did previous year... perhaps a dry area normally?

o

My Shasta has a bloom cluster, after doing it's normal big show in the spring. At first, I thought I was seeing things. My neighbor's Mariesii also has a cluster or two.

o

I left out the fact that both were transplanted last fall. That might account for no blooms in the spring.

I like the way these two grow. They are about 3' tall and 6' wide. Great foliage and showing the "tiered" look already.

o

There are several large, mature plantings of maresii doublefiles here on Cape Cod that have bloomed twice! The most recent bloom is far less complete than the spring bloom, but substantial nonetheless. These are plants that are at least 10' x 10' specimens.

o

I just noticed blooms forming on the second also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here