Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible to move an established forsythia bush?

Posted by churrl 5-6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 11:58

I've got several forsythia bushes in the back of my backyard where the yard basically turns into untamed forest. They get some sun from the east, but for some reason, they were planted behind an old, giant oak tree... so they crane for sunshine and the foliage is pretty sparse.

I'd like to move them to the other side of the tree where they'll have more sunshine, but I'm not sure if this is possible without killing them. How far down will I have to dig to get the entire plant? Should I just leave them alone?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible to move an established forsythia bush?

They are tough plants. You might do better to take cuttings (6-12" long) next spring, stick them in the ground where you want the shrubs to grow, water, and wait. They root readily! If you have a sheltered area to overwinter them, you can try taking cuttings now, putting them in pots and keeping them sheltered over the winter - not so much so that they don't stay dormant, but so the roots aren't frozen hard and killed - in a shed, a garage, buried in the ground or in a mass of leaves should all work. Keep them damp but not soggy, else they will rot. Don't try to keep them indoors, it will be too warm and dry, but a cool greenhouse/cold-frame should work also.

You CAN try to move them as well, and probably have good luck, as far as the basic technique for moving affects forsythias. I am not sure when the ground freezes where you are - z5-6 covers a wide area - but if it isn't for another 6 weeks or so, then you can cut them back to where they are handle-able, and try to dig them now, or wait until spring, as soon as the ground can be dug. Since they are old, and are growing under an oak tree, the root system will be pretty massive and hard to dig. Either way, you will loose the blooms for next spring, since you will be cutting them back, but you will either get them moved, or get them out of that spot. Pre-dig the holes for where you want them to go, fairly shallow, but very wide - don't amend the soil, and water and mulch well after re-planting them.

Doing both - cuttings and moving - would be insurance that you will still have forsythia in future years.

o

If they have been there a long time, they may have made smaller offset layered plants along the outside. These transplant well too and have smaller root systems.

o

link below.... late winter... cut some branches.. force them to flower ....

keep water clean .... pot up a few eeks later ...

at appropriate time.. plant them where you want them ...

destroy the old plant ...

TRUST ME.. been there.. done that ... ITS TOO MUCH WORK ... for a plant that roots so easy

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here