Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Forsythia transplant disaster... is there hope?

bananastand
9 years ago

On around September 10, I moved a small to mid size forsythia bush from one location in my yard to another. The primary reason for the move was to create privacy along a property line with neighbors that could use a physical barrier for reasons I won't go into.

I was able to get most of the root ball and move the shrub with few issues. I was happy to have such a head start on the privacy since the shrub is already 4 years old.

Well, of course with my luck, this preceded the unheard of cold snap that we got over much of the midwest starting about September 13. Nighttime temps went into the upper 30's for almost a whole week.

However, since my stupid work schedule is so busy, I was out of town on work travel during this time and unable to cover the shrub or do anything else to protect it.

Now, all the leaves have moved from looking limp and sad, to brownish and dead. I fear the shrub didn't make it.

Do I have any hope that the roots took hold in that short time before it got so stinkin cold? Or should I budget to buy a new forsythia (the largest I can find) next spring?

Frustrated at the timing of this! And of course, I couldn't have moved the shrub earlier because I've been traveling almost non-stop this summer for work. Stupid job. Stupid weather.

Comments (5)