Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum blooms

Posted by mblanchard Zone 6 North NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 12:18

Dear GardenWeb Members,

I recently found this forum and very glad I did! Sometimes I really feel all "at sea" in the garden!

I have several leather leaf viburnum that bud but never flower. Also, a doublefile viburnum flowered a little about 2 years ago but not since. Unfortunately our soil is very "clayey" and doesn't drain well. I've cut back tree branches to provide more sun. Perhaps that will help next year.

What else can I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum blooms

they prefer full blasting sun .. how much sun are they actually getting ....

bloom is often associated with not enough sun ... if that is the root problem.. then there is nothing else you can do but move them ... you just cant make up for darkness ...

even if this particular version is supposed to be shade TOLERANT... shade is very hard to quantify ....

what, if any fertilizer are you adding.. excess nitro can also cause problems ...

ken

o

They bud but don't flower? Are they actually forming flower buds in fall that are a)don't open in spring or b)disappear over winter?
If b) is occurring, you might want to check on the wildlife. I had squirrels systematically remove every single unopened V. carlesii bud between February and March for 5 year in a row. They never touched the V. farreri though. Plant is much bigger now and there are fewer squirrels so I finally get flowers.

o

Thanks for getting back to me! To answer your questions:

The bushes are in 2 locations, both have a southern exposure and receive full sun part of the day. For the first time this year I watered once with Miracle Grow in the hope this would help. Nothing.

Secondly there are flower buds, like now in September, that never open in the spring. My dog keeps squirrel activity to a minimum.
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here