Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowmound Spirea

Posted by bevj7 PNW OR 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 12:37

I have read that it should be pruned after it blooms in the spring. It is huge and has over grown the space. Would it harm the plant to cut it to the ground now or even later this fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowmound Spirea

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 13:48

Such is called renewal or renovation. You will not get flowers next year, but you will get a smaller top for some years. However, at some point it will be "too big" again. So, you might want to dig it up and put it elsewhere else while the top is gone sometime this winter.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 22:18

Why on earth are you growing this terrible shrub in the PNW!lol!

o

• Posted by bevj7 PNW OR 7 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 23:27

Thank you for answering. I did not plant the shrub, it was already here. I think we will dig it out and be done with it.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 16:25

Excellent choice...there are many better options ecspecially for your temperate climate.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 20, 11 at 11:05

The entire genus looks dead in the winter but has other attributes that make it a popular landscape staple in this region. Independent garden centers have multiple kinds for sale every year. A native species forms thickets in local wetlands.

'Snowmound' specifically has a clean appearance when in flower and in leaf that is nice, as is its arching habit.

But as with the others, during the winter it looks like it has died.

Shrubby potentilla has the same significant drawback. But it blooms for months at a time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here