Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodhors

FINALLY, Some Rain

goodhors
13 years ago

It has been a long dry spell, almost 5 weeks of no rain to speak of. Had a couple mist times for an hour or so, didn't do any good for the plants.

I think we have gotten an inch or so, pretty much abosorbed quickly, no puddles yet. I have been watering the shrubs, even the best were wilted badly. Hauled water out to my field tree sprouts the last week, every second day. May have lost the Sweet Gum, leaves are all brown, no green. It is kind of hidden in a corner, weeds were taller than it is, so I didn't notice until I was checking fencelines. The Burr Oak nearby is in good shape though. Both about knee high.

A big plastic tub and siphon hose in the back of the Gator worked for getting water out there and right on the sprouts. Tulip trees perked right up after watering.

There has been rain all around the outside of our County, those lands look fairly good. Just not locally getting any rain at all. Soybeans have not had enough water to fill the pods on yellow plants, corn looks ready to harvest with totally dry stalks. Not sure how full the husks are on the ears. Won't be much 3rd cutting hay for a while, if rain continues to water the ground. Too late for hay for some folks this year. Nice that first and most second cutting hay was good if cut on time. Late cutting got wet hay, before the drought hit.

Hope Ken got some of the water, he sounded in pretty dire straits down south of me!! It could rain for a couple days and I would be really happy!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting