Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aerieaviary

looking for evergreen hedging shrubs for dappled shade

aerieaviary
13 years ago

I am in need of some insight as to what shrub would best suit my needs to create a privacy hedge. It needs to be fast growing, evergreen, and *not poisonous* (our backyard egg laying hens say thank you!). I want to plant a hedge along our 4' tall chain link fence to provide privacy between our back yard and that of our neighbors (a 6' alternate board privacy fence is just not in our budget right now), but the location is fairly shady in summer. We have several large (40-60' tall) tulip poplars growing near the area where we want to create the hedge, so it does not get a lot of sun but there is dappled light filtering through. The other issue is that our soil is very clay-ey and while adding soil conditioners will be done at planting, the plants won't get fantastic drainage.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Comments (2)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Bareness under groupings of tulip poplars is usual. Being magnolia relations they likewise probably won't be wild about planting holes being dug out of their root mats. How much maneuvering room do you have?

To a large extend the best quality hedges are still yew, holly and box. Yew is of course poisonous to anything that might eat the seeds. You could get around this by planting a known male clone.

Yew also must have excellent drainage, so does box. You may find more tolerance to clay-like soil among the great many different kinds of holly.

Never use soil conditioners as in bark, compost, peat or sand when planting long-lived plants with large root systems such as shrubs and trees. Always refill the planting holes with the same soil that came out of them, without modification.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Replace extend with extent.