Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shasta Viburnum Spacing

Posted by organicjo OH (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 12:50

I rather impulsively purchased 3 shasta viburnums (5 gallon pots) to plant along a fence as a screen/hedge thinking that they would nicely fill in about a 20 foot length of fence. The tag at the nursery identified the shasta as having a mature size of 6' x 6'... sounded like it would fit well and since I love doublefiles, I was excited that I'd found something that would work for that spot. Well, after looking around online I see that the shasta will actually get much wider, more like 10-12' wide. I think I knew this at one time and that is why I had crossed it off my list, I just got excited when I saw 6' x 6'. I am now worried that I don't have the space for these and am frustrated because I feel like I was misled by the tag.

So, here's my question... can I squeeze all 3 of them in anyway? Should I just plant 2 of them maybe 6 or 8 feet apart? Just plant 1 and then get something else to fill in around it? I really want to screen the neighbor's yard, and I want the entire space filled, but don't want to crowd them too much (or the trees that they will be between). What is proper spacing for something like this when you want it to serve as a sort of hedge/screen?

Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shasta Viburnum Spacing

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 22:55

As always, how big depends on how long they have been in place, how well they did in that spot etc. If you arrange as a drift instead of spaced out separate accent points then you won't have to worry about how close they are. The three of them becomes the unit instead of each. Plantings composed of drifts have movement, appear to flow - unlike widely spaced separate specimens, which appear static and stiff.

o
RE: Shasta Viburnum Spacing

Shasta viburnums get at least 12' tall and 12'wide, side to side and front to back. They take up a lot of room. One is plenty for your spot. If you crowd them, they will lose one of their best features, the layered effect of the horizontal branches.

You will have to plant it far out from the fence to allow for its growth in that direction.

Shastas are not good hedge plants unless you are talking about a very, very large space. But they are gorgeous shrubs and well worth having.

Why not give the others as presents to someone who can use them if you don't have other places to plant the other two?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here