Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Korean Spice Viburnum - Need Help!

LindaMA
11 years ago

My Korean Spice Viburnum is beginning to look shabby this fall, the leaves have a ton of brown (rusty looking) spots on them, and I'm not sure why this is happening to this shrub. It's about 3-4 years old and it blooms fine in the spring, very pretty blossoms that smell spectacular, however, for the past couple of falls, this has been happening.

At first I thought it might be due to the dry hot summers we've been having, but I water it a lot to make sure that it's getting enough. We haven't had much rain here in MA this summer.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this issue? I don't fertilize this plant, well not this summer anyway, I may have last year. It gets sun just about all day long.

Thanks!

Linda

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you already gave us the 2 answers ..

ITS FALL!!!!

and it was a hard summer.. with heat and drought..

many of my plants frankly.. look tired ... i am not really concerned with ugly leaves that are going to fall off.. soon enough ... its a waste of chems to 'treat' them now ...

hope springs eternal.. water deeply.. and properly.. and hope for spring ...

no fert IMHO ...

since you already knew the answer.. let me suggest you TRY not to worry about it ... one can barely kill these things ... and though it looks ratty .. it does still have leaves.. so its alive ...

ken

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

You could consider moving it to a shadier location. Mine is in almost full shade, blooms well, and holds up well during the summer.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL....Ken, you never cease to make me smile, you are right, I did ask a question that I was pretty sure I knew the answer to, but I needed to be sure. I always thought that Viburnums looked great right through the fall, with nice wine/red colored leaves and, but having a few Viburnums, most of them do look pretty ratty right now, with the exception of my Cranberry redwig. Many thanks anyway, I do appreciate your putting my mind at ease.

mad_gallica.....I was told that this particular shrub did best in full sun, also, I really don't have a shady place to put it right now.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

again.. i think you are over-thinking it ...

i had two weeks over 100.. and a 8 to 10 week drought.. i cant really make a comment like: I always thought that Viburnums looked great right through the fall

sure.. they should.. in a regular year ... whatever that is anymore ... i am just happy.. naked as they are.. my plants are alive ... as a gardener.. you should know the motto:

THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR

ken

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

If you haven't mulched the shrub (not against the stems, but starting out a few inches), do that. I use shredded hardwood from a wood shop since that's what's available to me, but any organic material (compost, bark mulch, wood chips from the utility company's line trimming, pine needles, etc) will help keep the moisture even, so the plant will do better. Mine is in full sun, but is mulched. It gets no water or fertilizer, and it has healthy green leaves, even this late in the year. It will turn that lovely deep red and some orange in the later fall. Mine probably doesn't need extra water since we haven't gone more than 3 weeks without a soaking rain, but if yours seems to need water (check the soil via Ken's method of sticking your finger in the soil) then give it a long, slow soak relatively infrequently. It should look better next year with mulch and water if needed during long dry spells.