Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weigela transplanting question?

Posted by pattio2 z4b - ON (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 07 at 13:20

I have a small weigela with pink flowers that has been in my garden for 5 years. It has only grown 1 ft. high in that time so I think it must be a miniature type. I want to transplant it to a sunnier location because several surrounding shrubs have grown taller and are shading it. When is the best time to transplant, fall or spring? Will it be happy in a full sun hot and possibly dry location? Any special considerations when transplanting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weigela transplanting question?

in my zone 5 ... as soon as it losses its leaves.. or in spring as soon as the ground thaws ....

look in the white pages under ON government.. for any type of Agricultural/forestry/soil conservation office.. and give them a call for info more specific to your area .. if you dont get a specific answer here.. ken

o
RE: weigela transplanting question?

Don't know about your specific cultivar, but my full-sized red weigela is in full sun and is very happy; it got plenty of water for the first year or 2 after planting, and now requires none. It blooms off and on all summer, mostly after we've had some rain.

Mine is going to be shovel-pruned soon, but not because of anything it did to deserve it, it's just to darn big.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here