Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to collect beauty bush seeds?

Posted by cardarlin 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 13:21

My parents have a lovely beauty bush growing out by their barn. I was trying to find online how I could easily propagate it to take back to my own house. I tried a cutting a few days ago and its looking dead and pathetic. The purple berries have teeny tiny seeds in them but I'm not sure if that is exactly what I need or if there is another seed pod that develops or anything. The information on the internet is limited so far. I did search the forum but turned up nothing so thought I would post and see if anyone has an idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to collect beauty bush seeds?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 0:24

If you are talking about Kolkwitzia amabilis (the plant most commonly called Beauty Bush), it is very easy to propagate from softwood cuttings or seed.

For softwood cuttings, take cuttings in late spring or early summer. Make sure they are nodal cuttings with three or four nodes. Plant in a moist (not wet), well-draining medium. Rooting hormone is totally optional, but might slightly increase success rates.

For seeds, clean and dry them well. Then, soak them in initially hot (about 150 degrees F)(I let the hot water run a minute to get really hot) water for about 24 hours. In other words don't remove them, as the water cools, for a day. Then cold stratify them for 90 days. I use a moist (not wet) papertowel, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon (to avoid mold/mildew growth). I place that in a ziplock bag and place the bag in my vegetable crisper. I grew a bunch of them last year and had very high (near 100%) germination rates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here