Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need name for shrub

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 13:30

This spring a local retailer planted several green and white, small leafed, moderately sized shrubs. It does not seem to flower. It's taller than wide, standing about 4 feet high by 3 feet wide. It grows kinds of spikey looking, with it's branches sticking out like a porcupine. These shrubs don't get much attention, but they look healthy and have grown well in spite a very hot summer and in the blazing sun all day. Does anyone know what shrub this could be? I can't even guess it's name. Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need name for shrub

Picture?

o

yes.. a pic is necessary ...

but a WAG [google the def.] ... would be some kind of euonymus .... check the link

i should not be in that form.. but who knows.. lol ..

ken

ps: a good confirmation would be scale... lol ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I just took some pictures of the shrub I'm asking about. This should help. Hope I can add these alright; it's my first attempt!

It looks like the link is here, but I wanted to display the pictures. Don't know what I overlooked.

Anyway seeing the bush should help. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Garden 2010

o

Looks like variegated chinese privet. Not my favorite ...

o

Yes, it looks like a privet to me.

o

I don't know much about privets . . . variegated or other. What don't you like about them?

Can anyone give me directions on how to download a picture right into my post? Someone had a link once on how to do that and I read it, but had problems figuring it out. The link posted okay, but the picture didn't. Anyone with clearer directions on how to add a picture into the post???

o

Chinese privet is the most invasive plant in the southeastern US. It has invaded forests and natural areas like no other plant, out-competing native plants and reducing diversity wherever it dominates. Many natural areas are now forced to hold "Privet Pull" events, using up volunteer time and effort just to get rid of the stuff.

Some folks say that the variegated form does not set seed (which is a primary means of spreading thanks to birds), but it does - I have one in my neighborhood right now with seed on it.

Below is a link about how to embed a picture in a post.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to embed a picture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here