Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found a new Crepe Myrtle - Black Diamond

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 13:31

Found this one at HD, first time I've seen it, and there isn't much info online about it. Wow! They all had the same dark foliage, even larger ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found a new CrApe Myrtle - Black Diamond

Apparently, Black Diamond is the trade name for a new series of crApe myrtles.

The individual cultivars include:
'Best Red'
'Blush'
'Crimson Red'
'Pure Pink'
'Pure White'
'Red Hot'

There doesn't appear to be much info on the cultivars or the series.

o
RE: Found a new Crepe Myrtle - Black Diamond

I strongly suspect that Black Diamond reproduces Delta Jazz (Lagerstroemia indica 'Chocolate Mocha') and peddles it without a patent or trademarked name. Those cupped leaves are very characteristic the Chocolate Mocha.

It's a suspicion not an accusation, mind you. I've seen that kind of activity countless times, though.

o

I've lost the tag, rhizo, but I wonder if you're right. I'll go to HD tomorrow and look at the ones they still have and see what info is there. This one has dark red blooms, though. However, it is pretty potbound, and if I don't get it planted tomorrow, I'm afraid it will be L. i. 'Black Death'.

o

I went to the nursery and looked at these. The tag didn't give much info, but they do have a website, but these are new and aren't on it. However, it's all over their facebook page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Diamond on Facebook

o

Plant Me Green is the grower/distributor of the Black Diamond...I found their website and a label for this plant. I am still mystified by the lack of a patent number on the cultivar or a trademark on the name.

Enjoy it and keep us posted on it as it matures and develops.

o

Mine came from J. Berry, which is here in Texas, and no patent or trademark on their label, either.

o

Hmmmmm, I contacted the Plant Me Green people and they said that J Berry Nursery owns the TRADEMARK on the Black Diamond name. I'm wondering who owns the patented rights of propagation on the plant?

O, well.

o

The Black Diamonds were bred by a USDA breeder and are just now being introduced by J Berry Nursery who owns the trademark on the name. Unfortunately the USDA elected not to patent these plants.

o

Probably because they are so much like the 'Delta Jazz ' series. A plant needs to be clearly unique for a new patent to be issued.

o

I emailed the company to ask whether they are available in Atlanta, GA. They replied within one day to say that "this fall" I might start seeing some in my market, and until then to check out Plant Me Green.

LSU Ag Center has done some features on these plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube - Black Diamond Crape Myrtle

o

We got confirmation from the breeder that Black Diamond is a repackaging of the non-patented Ebony series. If you can find the plant you are free to propagate it to your hearts content.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solving the Mystery of the Black Diamond Crepe Myrtle Series

o

Dave, that's interesting. The one I got last year is doing great and is blooming now. I'm going to get one with white blooms today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here