Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan754

Little Kim lilacs don't turn color in fall

joan754
10 years ago

I don't know if lilac leaves ever turn color like yellow or red in the fall but mine never do. They just turn a dark brownish color. Are there varieties of lilacs that actually do turn a nice fall color? I have three nice Litle Kim lilac bushes that would look lovely in fall colors but unfortunately the brown color is all I get.

Comments (16)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

see link

the leaves fall off.. so what the heck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• joan754
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very funny Ken.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

This is one of the reasons that Lilacs are a bust and not worth space in the garden.

They all, at least 90% of them, fall brownish/greenish/yellowish.

There are so many other plants blooming during this time that offer fruit and/or fall color. Not to mention they may have more interesting foliage.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Viburnums come to mind!!!
    Spring, summer and fall ...............

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Hell no it doesn't! lol

There are a million lilacs blooming on a given block. I can understand the draw on your 5 acre property though.

Every plant has its season but they usually have some interest beyond their prime.

The only lilac I'd consider is syringa pekinensis or Syringa reticulata for their ornamental bark and later blooming period.

Yes you can sign me up as a lilac hater. Babyboomers overused them along with Silver Maple

• joan754
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I like my lilacs in my postage-stamp size yard (that's why I have Little Kim) but I was just wondering if any lilacs actually turn a nice color in the fall, but I guess not. Anyway, the warblers and hummingbirds like them for the insects that hide in them, I guess. I do love the blooms in the spring though. And the smell is heavenly too.

• botann
    10 years ago

I have a well grown 'Miss Kim' in a ten gallon pot. No Fall color at all.
    The pot is worth more than the plant.
    Mike

• florauk
    10 years ago

This is an interesting question to me where Autumn colour is much less reliable than for many of you due to the climate. In our gardens the default is little colour and any that we do get is a bonus. Some years are better than others. I'd never expect it from lilac, or Forsythia as mentioned in another post.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

If the smell is what you love get a Spice Island Viburnum.

Song Sparrow as really nice ones for a nice price.

The blooms are outstanding with a heavenly fragrance. The nice coarse leafe texture is interesting year long. Pair it up with a Sugar and Spice or Spiced Bouquet and you get the lovely fruit set.

Did I mention they get a very rich wine red fall color?

Yes please, throw your lilacs away.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I believe you're talking about Miss Kim. Li'l Kim is a hiphop artist. And she's in prison...or did she get out of prison?

We have some Miss Kim's just off our screened porch. They're wonderful and fragrant when they bloom in spring. In late summer's heat, the leaves get crispy no matter how much we water. I'm glad when the leaves finally fall.

Shrubs all have their season, and fall isn't a season for lilacs. As Ian said, look at viburnums -- you get at least three seasons of interest from them. The downside for a small property though is, they all get pretty large.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I believe you're talking about Miss Kim. Li'l Kim is a hiphop artist. And she's in prison...or did she get out of prison?

We have some Miss Kim's just off our screened porch. They're wonderful and fragrant when they bloom in spring. In late summer's heat, the leaves get crispy no matter how much we water. I'm glad when the leaves finally fall.

Shrubs all have their season, and fall isn't a season for lilacs. As Ian said, look at viburnums -- you get at least three seasons of interest from them. The downside for a small property though is, they all get pretty large.

• joan754
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't know if Island Spice Viburnum would withstand our winters. It's hardiness zone is 4a which is -30 F and we can get colder than that where I live. Nice shrub though.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Oops, sorry I didn't notice you are in Z2b. Wow, how cold does it get there?

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Oops, same here. I didn't know people lived in zone 2 or 3!lol

• joan754
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes, we live and thrive here lol. Well, we can get to -40 celcius which is the same in fahrenheit, but that doesn't happen very often but -30 is more common, which is -22 in Fahrenheit. We usually get lots of snow so that helps to insulate plants. I live in Saskatchewan and our winters can be brutal at times, but other times, not so bad lol. And as we like to say, it's a "dry cold" lol.