Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fponzani

Spacing Viburnum 'Wentworth' for hedge

fponzani
14 years ago

My local Home Depot was clearing out their $20, 2 gallon Wentworth's for $2.00 each. So I bought all they had - eight or ten I think. I have no experience with viburnums, but I want to make a hedgerow with these. However, I'm not sure of the spacing. The info I've found indicates they'll get 10-12' tall and 8-10' wide. That's quite a bit wider than most shrubs I've planted.

Should I put them eight feet apart? Six? Ten? I'd like to get a pretty solid screen.

BTW, if I can't get these in this fall, I was going to bury the pots in wood chips for the winter. Does that sound ok?

Comments (8)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

I'd plant them on 8 ft centers and do it anytime before the ground freezes. BTW, without as appropriate pollinator, you won't get much in berries.

• fponzani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, thanks.

Regarding pollination, I was just reading the "Viburnums pollination, propagation, provenance: Oh my!" thread. Yikes! Why can't this be easy?

• viburnumvalley
    14 years ago

Hey! I resemble that remark...

It is, in fact, EASY. You wouldn't expect to make a baby alone, would you? Viburnum fruiting isn't a lot different - pick an appropriate suitor, and plant within proximate pollination distance. In fact, most gardeners probably put more thought into this kind of permanent process than personal procreation.

Off the soapbox...

At least Viburnum trilobum and its clones are among the most widely available plants (next to arrowwood) in the viburnum clan. You should be able to get more than adequate pollination from any other fertile flowering Viburnum trilobum selection, as well as from any Viburnum opulus or Viburnum sargentii selection. And since you are planning on planting these plants as a hedge, you should have no trouble blending all of these together.

Plant them now - there is no value in overwintering them in pots. Only you can decide what spacing to apply, but closer together with big plants means quicker fill in, and less worry about replanting if one dies.

• fponzani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoa! VV! I gotta say that your VPPPOMy! post was very well written and informative. I was just feeling a bit too lazy to get all geeked up about the viburnums and was hoping for, well, "The Idiot's Guide to Getting Viburnums to Set Fruit". Well actually, that's a lie. I was really hoping for the summary of the Cliff's Notes of "The Idiot's Guide to Getting Viburnums to Set Fruit". But your work is most excellent and I can certainly appreciate your interest and effort.

At any rate, the local Home Depot also had a few Viburnum Redwings (V. trilobum 'JN Select') for a mere $2.00 each. (Or maybe I should plant my work boots!) Assuming these will do the trick (and please advise if they won't), is there any guidelines regarding ratios or distances? I'm hesitant to put the Redwings, which have red tipped foilage, in the hedgerow with the Wentworths - I'd like to keep a consistant appearance. But I've got several possibilities to plant them nearby.

Hey, here's a question. What's the predominant pollinating mechanism. Wind? Insects? Forest gnomes? If it's wind, I'm thinking orientation (up wind, down wind) might be an issue. Or am I getting too much geek going?

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Pollination is done by insects on Viburnums.

Boy, you got some good deals!

• ginkgonut
    14 years ago

They don't have to be very close together with insect pollination. I have a lone Wentworth that has great fruit set and I couldn't tell you where the nearest pollinating viburnum is. It is not within a couple of lots in any direction of the house.

• viburnumvalley
    14 years ago

As you are reading here (and elsewhere), your mileage may vary. I am glad others are finding satisfaction with their lone viburnums.

I'd dare say that they don't know what the propensity really is when planted singly.

You should be able to plant Redwing anywhere in your yard, and the insects will find their way around.

Geeked up? It really is as simple as planting multiple related (but not identical) viburnums with overlapping bloom times, to maximize potential for fruit production. That, and don't prune off next year's flower buds or this year's pollinated reproductive structures.

As I always say:

You can never have too many viburnums...

• manuelconde
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I'm desperatelly looking for a small plant of Wentworth, but I can't get one here in Europe.
    I would appreciate that someone send me a small plant with roots. Obviosly, I would pay the shipping costs.
    Don't hesitate to contact with me at mconde77@gmail.com