Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Replacing soft touch hollies with . . . ?

MizLizzie
11 years ago

I would appreciate some advice on evergreen hedge shrubs. We're in Zone 7B, Raleigh. In the fall 2010 we had identical planter beds installed to either side of our drive. A swath of 7 soft-touch hollies across the back of each. Plan was to eventually hedge them. Almost two years later, the upper bed is finally growing a tiny bit and has greened up. It gets some shade after about 2:30 PM.

The other bed, which gets shade only in the very late afternoon, looks miserable. Almost no growth in the hollies. Like they are just sitting there, barely living. The other plants in this bed also look less vigorous (day lilies and liriope) compared to the upper bed. And last month, one of the lower bed's hollies finally died. Two more are at death's door.

I think we are going to have to replace the hollies in the lower bed with something else. And then I guess the upper hollies will have to go, too, to make it look right. Our lawn service wants to plant Carissa holly. I think that is awfully thick-leafed for hedging. These are not big beds. But years ago we had a Carissa near that area, along with some dwarf barberry, and both did well.

I would welcome suggestions on what might work at this location. We had initially asked for dwarf boxwood, but the landscape designer said all the neighborhood dogs would pee on it and kill it, as the beds are along a busy sidewalk. They did kill one holly nearest the walk straightaway, but it was replaced (with a no-peeing-please sign) and looks fine now.

Beds are irrigated x3 week. Soil was amended at planting. I've been using Holly Tone, which usually gives me good results. And this past February I applied extra iron to see if they would green, but no luck on the lower bed.

I think I need something that can take the harsh Carolina sun. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (2)