Ligustrum Experiencing Sudden Wilt

kevingiese
12 years ago

Species: Recurve Ligustrum

Watering: Twice weekly

Fertilizing: Bi-monthly

Trimming: Every Six Weeks

Establishment: Six years

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is happening with my hedge line.

I am currently sitting on approximately two acres with the ligustrum hedges going around the entire perimeter. The sides of the property have been established for about six years. Half of the rear of the property has only been growing for three years, wit the other half closer to five.

For some reason, I have an issue with one corner in particular. This corner has all of a sudden refused to grow. Every few weeks I experience the same consistent problem with different plants. One shrub will begin to show signs of wilt, then will slowly dry up. The leaves turn brown and eventually fall off. And in time, the smaller branches lose all color.

I began replanting in the same area and the new shrubs do well for about four months, Then they stop growing, and end up dying off just like the rest.

I have been told to stop watering, don't fertilize as much, don't spray any weed killer, and don't trim. I have tried all opinions and nothing has worked. I've been struggling for over a year now. I have heard phytophthora, sudden wilt, Verticillium Wilt, and a few other ideas.

Attached are some photos of my problems.

Any ideas of what I can do? Any fungicides I can spray? Any techniques to cure my problem?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/kevingiese/2011-08-01170312.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/kevingiese/2011-08-01170318.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/kevingiese/2011-08-30081930.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/kevingiese/2011-08-30081942.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/kevingiese/2011-08-30075707.jpg

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

in photobucket.. use the HTML CODE ... on preview.. if you see it.. we will see it ... give it a try for the next peeps to come along ...

is your entire yard red mulch? ... how long.. why??? .. any relation???

what are you spraying with weed killer as you dont seem to have any lawn ???

do your neighbors hate you???

do you drive any machinery on the mulch???

do you water when they need water.. or on some schedule unrelated to the plants needs???

i am of the opinion.. that you NEVER fertilize a shrub... EVER!!!! .... unless a soil test indicates something is missing in your soil ... twice a month [bi-monthly] is way too much.. as is every other month [bi-monthly???] ....

perhaps hyper-fertilization is why you have to trim them every 6 weeks .... seriously .. i got rid of all my privet because it became too overwhelming to trim them twice a year.. and you are doing it nearly 9 times a year ....

ever think of trying something else???? sooner or later.. even i quit banging my head on a wall.. and go another direction .... this is a prime reason to argue for a diverse planting.. rather than all of one thing.. because.. as you are realizing... you get big problems when something hits a monoculture ...

any salt water problems due to hurricanes???

when you trim .. do you sanitize between plants.. or are you potentially spreading a problem plant to plant with the shears????

well .. thats the best i can do with a shotgun ....

good luck

ken

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Contact your county's Extension Service office, then send images and ask your questions.

Locate your office with this map:
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Or have a Certified Arborist out for an on-site visit.

You can locate a Certified Arborist in the Yellow Pages, online or in a phone book. Tree care companies with such a person will include that information in their ads, either as a brief statement or as a small rectangular logo stating "Certified Arborist." Certified Arborists are trained in tree care, must pass an exam, and must accumulate mandated continuing education.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA map to locate Extension Service offices

• kevingiese
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean001a,

I have already contacted my Extension Office. I brought in samples, photos, and explained everything I could. They could only scratch their heads and apologize. The same goes for my pest control company. Which is why I am seeking help where ever I can.

I will definitely give the Certified Arborist a try! That's a great idea. I've already found three within a few miles. I'll schedule a visit and post if anything turns up. The only downside is the cost . . .

Thanks!

• nandina
    12 years ago

Sorry - I am pressed for time so will send you off searching for ....ligustrum + phymatotrichum root rot. This sounds like your problem. Also, search...ligustrum + verticillium wilt. Don't think this is your problem, but check out the symptoms.

Then, search...Actinovate + .....each of the two fungi mentioned above. Actiinovate is a fairly new organic fungicide which when used as a soil drench best helps to control root fungus problems.

• kevingiese
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Phymatotrichum root rot explains quite a bit. I've been finding the spore mats all over this area and I had no idea what they were until now. The descriptions and symptoms all seem to match up. It's a shame how uncontrollable this is.

I went ahead and ordered the Actinovate from a local supplier and will see how it works out. I'm hoping a good soil drench will do the trick. I'll just have to periodically treat the area to control it. And supposedly a soil sulfur will help also. I'll look into that a bit more.

I am planning to replace this area with some Holly in hopes that it will remain resistant to the disease and the rest of my shrubs will go unharmed.

Thanks for all the help!