Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
umema_gw

Myrica californica or waxleaf privet for screening?

umema
11 years ago

Hi I live in Zone 10b, southern California. I need to built a screening wall between my neighbor and our entrance. We have only 2ft from cements to the neighbor wall. I need to cover around 32ft length (32Ftx2ft). I would like this wall to be 7ft tall. I researched and talked to some local nurseries they told me that Myrica californica (Pacifica Wax Myrtle) for a 3 ft length tree to get to 6-7 ft it would take 4 month and it is the fast growing (5 ft per year) the other one is Waxleaf privet, for 3 ft tree to get t o 6 ft they said it takes 1.5 year. I need to cover the exposed area quickly. Also how far should I plant them apart?

>Your opinion will be appreciated.

>Thanks,

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

The myrica is a decent sized shrub - can produce a 10-12' spread so will become a huge chore to keep pruned to a 2' width. And I'm not at all sure will look very attractive pruned that severely. Same with the privet - not as wide as the wax myrtle for sure but too wide for the space available without very frequent trimming to keep the walkway walkable.

This is a situation that cries out for bamboo - evergreen, fast growing with a range of available heights and able to maintain a very narrow profile. Depending on the specifics of the planting conditions you might not be very limited to species but any of the clumping bamboos will work beautifully and without problems.

btw, your local nurseries are feeding you a line. No shrub will grow as fast as they describe immediately after planting, ideal SoCal climate or not. They need time to establish and develop a root system and that doesn't happen immediately. You could expect 3' tall shrubs to hit 6-7 feet in a couple of years, not a couple of months.

• umema
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for reply. Does the bamboo runs high and everywhere? How about Italian Cyprus?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Concur on the bamboo, and the Myrica will get WAY too wide for that spot. You can shear it but not down to 2' width - pretty soon all you'll have are bare trunks and stubs. And gardengal was suggesting clumping bamboo, which is not invasive. Italian Cypress would work functionally - you'll have to check if it grows there happily. It needs full sun to look its best. Very different look from bamboo, so you'll have to decide on the effect you prefer.

• umema
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for suggestions. I will go to Green Thumb today and try to see what is out there and find out more. I will post my findings with photos of my entrance.
    Thanks

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Great! The photos will help. Good luck!

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

At the Darlingtonia Wayside near Florence there are wild Pacific wax myrtle that are big and arborescent enough to be shade trees, with substantial single trunks and elevated crowns. A planted one at Seattle Pacific University may be as big or even bigger than these, it measured 30'
    x 3' 4 1/2" x 30' in 2005 (Height x trunk circumference x average crown spread).

On the other hand, specimens in the parking strips at the Lynnwood, WA Costco warehouse store are being subjected to the now epidemic close "maintenance shearing" (PlantAmnesty) one sees everywhere these days and do not seem to be badly affected at all. Maybe the plant has an adaptation to tip damage stemming (so to speak) from its outer coastal habitat.