Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haysmommie

Please help! Dying lilac?

haysmommie
13 years ago

My mother passed away this spring, and in her memory I planted a "Persian Lilac" from the local nursery. I did a ton of homework before buying anything, because despite my memory of Mom having a rather large, blossoming lilac on the side of the house, I know that Arizona is not the most favored by lilacs. Either way, I was assured both by online research as well as the nursery that this variety would do fine here. Through the spring and most of the summer, it did great... even grew a few inches which totally excited me. At some point last month, the leaves began to turn brownish/yellowish/just not the right shade of green they should be, and now every single leaf on the bush has turned brownish yellow and is dry and brittle. I am not sure if I may have over watered it, as it is in a pot that was previously on the ground and when I went to deep water it one day it did pool up (now it's propped up on a few bricks to make sure the water can drain out properly) or if maybe it was over fertalized (I was going out once every 2-3 weeks and giving it a drink of water with some rose fertalizer to try and plump it up a bit since it is so spindly right now). I do have two roses on either side of it (also in pots) that have had problems with cane borers throughout the summer, however I have not noticed any damage to the lilac at all. Please, what is it that I am doing wrong and how can I save this plant??? It will absolutely kill me for it to die and I am at my wits end right now. I have checked, and the cadmium is still nice and green, so I am not giving up hope yet...

Comments (2)